Mingo Knights present awards
The Mingo Knights of Columbus Msgr. Joseph F. Dooley Council 4361 celebrated its 56th Anniversary, Past Grand Knights and Awards dinner on May 3 at the Mingo Knights of Columbus Hall.
Seated at the head table were the Rev. James M. Dunfee, chaplain and pastor of St. Agnes; Baci Carpico, past state deputy, and his wife, Bernie; Shawn Zarych, grand knight; Bob Byers, state warden and his wife, Peggy; and John Daley, financial secretary and toastmaster, and his wife, Kathy.
Other dignitaries in attendance were Erol Hosdil, district deputy no. 49; Joseph Solomon, Diocese of Steubenville, diocesan membership/retention director; and Guido Evangelista, deputy grand knight.
Past grand knights in attendance included Baci Carpico, Ed Treglia, Bill DennaPenna, Francis DiLoreto, John Daley, Evangelista and Zarych.
The dinner was catered by Leigh and Ray Johnson of Ohio Catering.
Zarych and Evangelista presented certificates and awards.
Monthly knights presented a certificate were James Raymond, Guido Evangelista, Bill DennaPenna, Keith Crispino, Dr. John Balzano, Scott Fabian, John Balzano, John “Wiz” Fabian, Francis DiLoreto, Lou Kakascik and Mike Potenzini.
Lady monthly certificates were given to Josephine Potenzini, Catherine “Kitty” Kakascik and Joanne Raha.
A new award presented was the Larry B. Campbell Merit Award, named after the late Larry B. Campbell who died May 3, 2012. Campbell had served as the organization’s financial secretary and district deputy for many years. The award was presented to Bill and Kristen Wheeler of Wheeler Funeral Homes for their kindness and service to the community.
Chaplain of the Year honors went to the Rev. James M. Dunfee, for his dedication to the church, hospital and nursing home visits, and dedication to the Knights of Columbus.
Other awards were:
- Youth of the Year: Madeline Miller, a senior at Catholic Central, four-year member of the varsity band, National Honor Society, plays softball and soccer, on the principal’s list, involved in community projects.
- Family of the Year: Dr. John and Dina Balzano and daughters Julia, Talia, Angelian, Maria, Marcella, Chiara and Caterina, who are lifelong members of St. Agnes Parish. John is Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, and the two oldest daughters are altar servers. They pray the rosary together as a family in the evenings.
– Volunteer of the Year: Frances Cutri, owner of Rocky Auto Wrecking, and active with the Mingo Woman’s Club, the Jefferson County Fair, American Red Cross, Hurricane Katrina assistance and Mingo K of C Hurricane Sandy Project.
– Blue Coat of the Year: Edward Karovic, a Steubenville Police officer of more than 15 years, who exemplifies a strong work ethic and who saved the lives of two trapped men he pulled from a burning car.
– Lady of the Year: Josephine Potenzini, a member of St. Agnes Parish, Catholic Women’s Club, and cooks for funeral dinners and K of C Lenten fish fry.
– Knight of the Year: Louis E. Kakascik, who organized the Hurricane Sandy Relief Project, driving to New York and New Jersey with food and donations. He also is active with the Knights fish fry.
Steve Tancek won the 50-50 drawing.