Pleasant Hill School House Museum seeks history help
The Pleasant Hill School House Historical Museum located on state Route 213, Steubenville, needs the public’s help in an historical pursuit as its volunteers work to collect old pictures, documents and artifacts related to the history of the schoolhouse and Island Creek Township.
A flyer promoting the request identifies three areas of interest, including:
— Old coal steeple on county Road 56;
— Woodward’s tomato farm;
— Pekin Post Office;
— Shay’s Market;
— Steubenville bus line that ran from Alikanna to New Somerset;
— Evan’s Grocery Store;
— Old Bray’s Chapel;
— Alikanna Methodist Episcopal Church; and
— Other points of interest.
— Old school souvenir programs; and
— Old church souvenir programs;
— Collectible items with logos, seals or mascots from the Island Creek Township schools, church and local businesses.
Early schools of Island Creek Township included Alikanna School, Bray’s School, Center Chapel School, Johnson School, Mount Tabor School, Oak Grove School and Pleasant Hill School.
Early churches of Island Creek Township include the 1800 Island Creek Presbyterian Church, 1802 or 1803 Two Ridge Presbyterian Church, 1814 Mount Tabor Methodist Church, 1837 Bray’s Chapel Methodist Church, 1847 Center Chapel Methodist Church and 1866 Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church.
Historical locations of Island Creek Township are sought for Pekin Post Office, Pleasant Hill Grange Hall, Blackburn’s Mill, Shay’s Market, Yocum’s Store, Grafton Farm, Woodward Tomato Farm and Pleasant Hill and Pottery Addition volunteer fire departments.
Questions can be directed to (740) 264-3565 or historical donations mailed to the Pleasant Hill School House Historical Museum, c/o Gloria Renda, project director, 4355 Steuben Woods Drive, Steubenville, OH 43952.
The Pleasant Hill School House Historical Museum will hold its fourth-annual alumni reunion at the school house on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with the meal served at noon.