Attention, adult smokers in Jefferson and Carroll counties

Trying to kick the habit?

Adults in Jefferson and Carroll counties who smoke but want to quit can still get help through a research partnership between the Ohio State University College of Public Health and OSU Extension in Jefferson County.

This partnership – called the OSU Quit Smoking Project – will provide telephone support and up to eight weeks of nicotine patches for 60 adult smokers in Jefferson and Carroll counties.

To participate in this project, smokers need to be:

  • A resident of Jefferson or Carroll County;
  • 18 years or older;
  • Have no recent major health issues;
  • Be a daily smoker; and
  • Not be pregnant.

Both men and women can participate; however, space is limited so inquire as soon as possible.

People also must be willing to try and quit in the next month by using telephone support and nicotine patches, which will be provided free of charge as long as they remain in the study.

The purpose of the study is to find out how effective telephone support and patches are for smokers in the Appalachian region of Ohio. Participants will be asked a set of questions before they start the project as well as three, six and 12 months afterwards.

It is important for participants to stay in the study for 12 months, whether they quit smoking or not.

Participants will receive a small gift card after each data collection to thank them for their time, according to a project spokesperson.

The study is funded by the National Cancer Institute, which is part of the National Institute of Health.

Mary Ellen Wewers obtained the funding and leads the project at the OSU College of Public Health. Amy Wermert and Julianna Nemeth, also at the OSU College of Public Health, manage the project. Janine Yeske, Extension educator at OSU Extension Jefferson County, helps with outreach and recruitment.

Goldia Smurda is the lay health adviser conducting the local project in Jefferson and Carroll counties.

Jefferson County interested in participating can contact Smurda at (740) 314-2498, and Carroll County residents can call (33) 771-7232.