Woman’s Club of New Cumberland celebrates 84th
NEW CUMBERLAND — The Woman’s Club of New Cumberland is celebrating 84 years, after being organized and federated in 1933 with 44 women on Federation Day April 24.
Following a local women’s campaign to build the Community House, community leaders turned their attention to organizing a Woman’s Club, meeting at Mrs. Porter Donehos’ home, where the initial decision was made. A Weirton Woman’s Club member and New Cumberland native was the club’s sponsor.
The club members drew up a constitution and elected officers, establishing a club to promote mental, moral, civic and social improvements in the home and community. Meetings were held in different homes until the Swaney Memorial Library was built in 1954.
At one point, New Cumberland had three Woman’s Clubs, including the Young Woman’s Club and Civic Club. Today, the Woman’s Club of New Cumberland remains.
The clubs have supported several community projects, including the Community House, preschool story hour and initial kindergarten classes. The club participated in New Cumberland’s 100th anniversary celebration and the 1976 Bi-Centennial celebration. The club supports the Hugh O’Brien Youth leadership program, Rhododendron Girls State, Conservation Camp and the Hancock County Art Council’s holiday house tour. The club also supported establishing the River Walk in 1995.
The Woman’s Club of New Cumberland still maintains the original purposes to support the betterment of the community and its residents.
The club meets at 1 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month September through May at the Swaney Library. Visitors and prospective members are always welcome. Many meetings are open for visitors.
The club is a General Federation of Women’s Clubs of West Virginia member organization.