Mount Olive Baptist is celebrating its centennial
WEIRTON — Mount Olive Baptist Church, located at the corner of Weir Avenue and Kessel Street, Weirton, will celebrate its 100th anniversary with morning worship service beginning at 11:15 a.m. Sunday and an afternoon program at 2:30 p.m. with guest speaker the Rev. Melvin G. Rippy of the Macedonia Baptist Church, Wheeling, and his congregation.
The roots of Mount Olive reach back to 1916, when Warren Scurry, Charles Leveridge Sr., William Southerland, Wade Price, Asam Henry, the Rev. Harrington and Mr. Keyes — all now deceased — met at Henry’s home on Loeb Street to bring about the formation of a new church in Weirton.
From Henry’s Loeb Street residence, the church transferred to the basement of a building across the street from its present location. The late Rev. Rufus Williams became pastor in 1917.
The following year the church split, and the late Rev. T. R. Wilson became pastor, and under his leadership, the first Mount Olive Church was built. He was succeeded in 1921 by the Rev. E.O. Brown and in 1923 by the Rev. E.B. Payne.
In January 1949, the Rev. James E. Curry was called to pastor. Under Curry’s direction, the old Mount Olive Church was dismantled in the summer of 1949 to make way for a new brick structure completed in November 1951. This building stands today as the church’s home.
Mount Olive is forever indebted to Rev. Curry for his more than 56 years of service, church officials said. After his death in 2005, the church called Pastor Arthur Peters for one year, and he was succeeded in 2009 by Pastor Rudy McAllister.
Today, in addition to Pastor McAllister, the church continues to deliver the Holy Spirit led by Deacons Kenneth M. Miller and Booker T. Walker, and the board of trustees comprised of Monte Lester, Ethel Lester and Earlean V. Jones, clerk.