Historical society makes Memorial Day plans
RICHMOND — The Crew House Museum on Main Street was a busy place April 10 as members of the Richmond Community Historical Society united to makes plans for the Memorial Day parade it sponsors.
Sights also were set on putting the wheels in motion to complete an outdoor project involving the re-pointing of the museum’s two other walls.
A major undertaking of 2017 involved having two sides of the original brick on the building re-pointed by workers from Montenery Masonry of Yorkville.
Work on having the back wall and wall facing Jax’s Pizza re-pointed is hoped to begin in June and be completed by fall.
Wendy Byers and Donna Corder, meanwhile, will return for a second year as co-chairs of the parade, which will begin at 11 a.m. on May 28, forming as always at the former Richmond Elementary School/Hardy Field parking lot.
The parade will proceed through town, led by Richmond American Legion Post 740 Honored Seven representatives. The guest speaker at Richmond Union Cemetery will be Coast Guard Rear Adm. Joseph M. Vojvodich, formerly of Richmond. Dave Grimm Jr. of Texas, also a Richmond native, will deliver the “Gettysburg Address.”
Historical society members chose “Wave the Flag for Our Veterans” as the theme and selected Mavourneen Kearney of Wintersville, formerly of Richmond, for grand marshal honors.
Wreath carriers are Tallyn Larkins, daughter of Ben and Melody Larkins, and Bailey Tharp, daughter of Lenny and Kayla Tharp.
Because of safety and space concerns, no parking will be permitted at Hardy Field where the floats are lined up, it was decided. Only parade participants will be allowed past Legion Street. All drop-offs will be done at the corner of Legion Street, and traffic will be directed to other parking areas, including the Richmond United Methodist Church, the parking lot below gazebo park, the grassy lot next to the post office, behind Everhart Memorials and at the corner of state Route 152 S. and Main Street.
Volunteers will be recruited to help with parking.
As a means of communicating parade information as well as historical society information, Corder was given the green light to create a Facebook page for the Richmond Community Historical Society.
The April meeting also brought news that the basement window replacement project has been completed.
The museum continues to enjoy visitor appreciation of its collection of all things Richmond, including its Jefferson Union High School memorabilia rooms on the second floor, a showcase of a myriad of donated school items.
The group uses the museum to promote the history of the town that observed its 200th anniversary during 2015.
The museum once was home to Henry Crew in this Quaker community that he migrated to from Virginia in 1814, establishing a general merchandise store in 1816 the family operated for a full century.
Crew also owned a packing house and bought grain and wool for shipment and served as Richmond’s first postmaster for 19 years.
The historic house built in 1826, and once a station on the Underground Railroad, was continuously in the Crew family until 1972, when Evelyn “Eppie” Crew was the last to live there.
When the building faced an uncertain future after that, a group of concerned townspeople united, purchasing the house with the aid of grants. The village of Richmond is now the owner, while the historical society maintains the contents and handles much of the building and grounds maintenance.
“Our purpose is to preserve the history of Richmond and the area,” Phil Judy, president, has noted. “We were fortunate to have had Don Thompson’s written and pictorial accounts of the past, some of which are published as a history book that we have for sale,” he said.
“The Crew House itself has now been a fixture in the village of Richmond for 190 years, and the historical society members are proud of being able to maintain it,” Judy said.
The museum features a variety of Richmond memorabilia inside. Outside, the bell from the former one-room Mount Tabor schoolhouse, which was donated by the Kvocka family, is mounted in front. A mural on the side of the building, meanwhile, depicts an old street scene from early Richmond.
The museum in past years has hosted bi-weekly open houses in June, July and August, with specific dates and times to be announced, and also is available for private visits. Classes from the former JUHS having reunions, for example, are welcome to call to make an appointment as part of their get-together festivities.
In addition to Phil and Sandy Judy, secretary, other officers of the historical society are Don Swickard, vice president, and his wife, Becky Swickard, treasurer.
The historical society holds meetings on the third Tuesday of every other month beginning at 7 p.m. Membership is $5 a year. Its website is www.crewhouseweebly.com.
The next meeting is set for 7 p.m. May 15. Anyone is welcome to attend meetings or become a member.