Community

Community news from throughout the area

Youth and community rally Sunday at Harding Stadium STEUBENVILLE — A youth and community rally beginning at 6 p.m. Sunday at Harding Stadium will showcase local talent and feature an inspirational message by Adrian Branch, a National Basketball Association world champion with the Los ...

-- Contributed

Edison High School Homecoming court

Edison High School has announced its 2017 Homecoming court and will hold a parade tonight at 6 p.m. in Richmond. The queen will be selected during the Wildcats’ game against Union Local on Friday at Cartwright Memorial Stadium. Vying for the crown are, seated, from left, Allison Crawford and ...

YOU’RE INVITED — Looking forward to welcoming new, prospective and returning members of the Academy of Lifelong Learning to Saturday’s open house are officers, from left, Jan Rainbolt, vice president; Iris Craig, president; and board member Roxanne Matysiak. The open house begins at 1 p.m. in the seminar room of the St. Joseph Center on the campus of the Franciscan University of Steubenville and will feature an overview of fall classes that run from Oct. 2 through Nov. 9.
-- Janice Kiaski

Academy of Lifelong Learning hosting open house Saturday for fall semester

STEUBENVILLE — Human trafficking, local history, massage therapy, a Harrison County time capsule and financial planning. Such are a handful of but many topics in varied interests as the Academy of Lifelong Learning prepares for its fall semester of classes that run Oct. 2 through Nov. ...

Community news from throughout the area

Hurricane delaying Kiwanis’ local deliveries of roses STEUBENVILLE — The roses will be delivered, but just a little later than expected, no thanks to Hurricane Irma. Members of the Kiwanis Club of Steubenville were supposed to make local deliveries of roses Tuesday as part of what is ...

MAKING A SPLASH — Tyler Brozstek and others in the Brooke High School Spanish Club lobbed water balloons at each other while recreating the Spanish tradition of La Tomatina and raising money for the Brooke County Salvation Army.
-- Contributed

Brooke club adapts Spanish tradition for fundraiser

WELLSBURG — The Brooke High School Club Spanish Club adapted a Spanish tradition to help the Brooke County Salvation Army while having a lot of fun, too. Morgan Cipoletti, the club’s adviser, came up with the idea of recreating a longtime Spanish tradition. “The Tomatina is an actual ...

Community calendar

(EDITOR’S NOTE: The community calendar is only as accurate as the information provided to it. Meeting changes and updates should be directed to Janice Kiaski, Herald-Star community editor, at jkiaski@heraldstaronline.com or (740) 283-4711, ext. 346.) Today Gamblers Anonymous and Gam-Anon, ...

Mom wearing same outfits as daughter

Dear Annie: After going to college out of state and graduating a few years ago, I moved home with my parents so I could save money while attending graduate school. Recently, my mom has started to get on my last nerve. If I look good in an outfit, she goes out and buys the same thing. Though ...

-- Contributed

Come and solve ‘The Kennywood Kaper’

The deacons of Cove Presbyterian Church in Weirton will be hosting a mystery dinner theater — “The Kennywood Kaper” — on Sept. 30 in the church fellowship hall at 3404 Main St., Weirton. The “Kaper” will be presented by the Ohio Valley Cloak and Dagger Co. in partnership with ...

Church news from throughout the Valley

Agape Fall Festival scheduled for Sept. 22-23 STEUBENVILLE — Agape Assembly and Agape Homeless Shelter/Food Pantry in Steubenville welcomes the public to its upcoming two-day Agape Fall Festival. It will be held from noon to 8 p.m. Sept. 22 and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sept. 23 at the ...

Church sermon topics

-- Bell Chapel United Methodist Church, Steubenville: “That’s A Good Question.” -- Buena Vista United Methodist Church, Steubenville: “Forgive as I Forgive You.” -- Calvary Community Missionary Baptist Church, Steubenville: “What Do You Have to Report?” -- Covenant ...