Fire likely caused by electrical short

NEW MANCHESTER – A fire that destroyed a single-story home on Westlake Lane on Thursday likely was caused by an electrical short, New Manchester Fire Chief Roger Stewart said.

The electrical short originated somewhere in the ceiling in an area between the house and the attached garage, located at 466 Westlake Lane, Stewart said. The wiring may have had worn insulation.

The house, owned by Sidney Adams, 75, is considered a total loss. Adams was taken to East Liverpool City Hospital by New Cumberland Ambulance Service.

New Manchester firefighters got the call at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday and arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the house. They received assistance from the New Cumberland Volunteer Fire Department.