Area teen bound over in shooting deaths

STEUBENVILLE – Kordel Moncreace, 16, of Steubenville was bound over to adult court following an hour-long probable cause hearing before Jefferson County Juvenile Judge Sam Kerr in connection with the shooting death of two men on Jan. 30.

County Assistant Prosecutor Samuel Pate called four people to testify during the hearing but no law enforcement officers.

Steubenville Police were called around 9:30 p.m. on Jan. 30 to the Heritage Place Apartments, also known as the Market Square Apartments, on Market Street about shots fired.

Police said Ryan Toson, 21, and Otavius Wilson, 19, both of Steubenville, were taken to Trinity Medical Center West with multiple gunshot wounds, where they were both pronounced dead.

Police reported a large caliber handgun was used in the shooting.

Kimberly Williams of Steubenville, the mother of Moncreace’s girlfriend, said she was at the Market Square apartment complex and heard gunshots on Jan. 30. A short time later, Williams said she was handed a cell phone and Moncreace was on the line. Williams said Moncreace told her to take his bookbag and throw it in the Ohio River. She instead threw it in a Dumpster. Williams testified that Moncreace also told her a mask was located in bushes in an alley near the apartments.

Williams said she went to the police station about 30 minutes later and told investigators about the call. She said police went to the Dumpster and found the bookbag, which contained one bullet of the same caliber handgun police believe was used in the shooting. She also said the mask was recovered.

Williams testified she had previously seen Moncreace with a .44-caliber handgun. On cross-examination by defense attorney David Vukelic, Williams said that Moncreace had a “conflict” at the apartment complex about three weeks prior to the shooting and was bragging about carrying the gun.

Shannon White of Steubenville testified that Moncreace got into a car he was driving on the night of the shooting. He said Moncreace talked about shooting two individuals but doesn’t remember what Moncreace said as to the reason for the shooting.

On cross-examination by Vukelic, White admitted he gave police detectives the name of Moncreace’s brother as the one in the car. But White, on questioning by Pate, pointed out Moncreace in the courtroom as the person who was in his car.

White also said Moncreace told him he had disposed of the gun, which has not been recovered, and changed his clothes.

Moncreace was arrested by police around 2 a.m. on Jan. 31.

Also testifying was Angel Johnson, Moncreace’s mother. She said she picked her son up at the bottom of the Dresden Avenue hill on the night of the shooting but didn’t remember the time. She said she briefly talked to him and he left about 45 minutes later.

Jody Mercer of the Market Square Apartment testified she saw Moncreace in the hallway shortly before the shooting. She said “he was out of place to be there.” Mercer said Moncreace was pacing back and forth and kept checking his pockets.

She said she heard the outside door of the apartment building open and then heard the first shot.

Mercer on cross-examination said Moncreace didn’t appear nervous while in the hallway.

After the shooting, she heard people scream outside and ran out but didn’t see Moncreace.

Kerr ordered Moncreace held on a $500,000 bond on each of the murder charges. He said Moncreace will be held in the juvenile detention center throughout his trial in adult court.

(Law can be contacted at