Gunfight results in arrest

STEUBENVILLE – An 18-year old city man was arrested Saturday afternoon following an alleged robbery and a running gun battle with city police.

Police Chief Bill McCafferty said Devon Jones-Hill of 1416 1/2 Maxwell Ave. was in the Jefferson County jail Saturday evening facing one robbery charge and two counts of attempted murder.

McCafferty said no bond was set for Jones-Hill who is set to appear in Municipal Court this week.

“Two officers responded at 5:25 p.m. regarding a robbery in the 1500 block of Maryland Avenue. The initial reports said the suspect had a gun during the robbery. When the two officers arrived, they approached the suspect who fired his weapon at the officers. The two officers returned fire, and the suspect took off running. The officers were able to apprehend Jones-Hill and no one was injured,” explained McCafferty.

“The two officers involved in the shooting were immediately placed on paid administrative leave per department regulations,” added McCafferty.

“This incident is now under investigation by our detective division because of the robbery charge and the shooting will be investigated by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation who was on the scene Saturday evening. The Jefferson County sheriff’s department and the Ohio State Highway Patrol assisted during the incident,” reported McCafferty.

It is the second shooting in two days in the LaBelle neighborhood.

City Police are continuing to search for the man they believe is responsible for a double shooting Friday afternoon that left one man dead and his cousin seriously wounded.

Both shooting victims are from Chicago.

Twenty-seven year old Tristan Jackson died from a single gunshot wound to the head shortly after 2 p.m. Friday on Pittsburgh Street near the alley between Oregon and Wellesley avenues.

His cousin, Jermaine Foots, 21, was shot as he ran from the scene and was found near the Pittsburgh Street and Oak Grove Avenue intersection.

Foots was transported by medical helicopter to a Pittsburgh-area hospital.

Jefferson County Coroner Dr. Michael Scarpone said Jackson’s body was transported to the Cuyahoga County coroner’s office Friday evening for an autopsy.

According to Steubenville Police Chief Bill McCafferty, law enforcement officials believe Jackson and Foots got out of their vehicle shortly before 2 p.m. and approached a van.

“Foots said he turned to walk back to his vehicle when he heard gunshots and saw his cousin fall to the ground,” said McCafferty.

“Our investigation with assistance from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation is continuing. We are actively searching for the people we believe are responsible for this shooting,” declared McCafferty.