Buchmelter to lead Central at commencement
STEUBENVILLE – The top 10 students at Catholic Central High School will lead the Class of 2013 during commencement ceremonies set for 2 p.m. Sunday in Berkman Theater at Lanman Hall.
- Jaylynn Buchmelter is the class valedictorian. She resides with her grandparents, Jodie and Regis Buchmelter, and is the daughter of Erin Lohrum and Michael Denman. She is a member of Blessed Sacrament Church. She received the Ashland University President’s Scholarship, music major scholarship, Ashland Endowed Scholarship, Louis R. Panebianco Scholarship, Dean Martin Scholarship and Wayne White/Bob Evans Scholarship. She was a member of the National Honor Society; SADD; Catholic Daughters Club; marching band, where she was trombone section leader; concert band; steel drum band; choir and the OVAC All-Star Band. She participated in the productions of “Cinderella,” “Bye, Bye, Birdie,” “Once Upon a Mattress” and “A Little Princess.” She received the Honors English I and II, Biology, Living Systems, Spanish IV, Pre-Calculus, Personal Finance, Statistics and AP Calculus Awards. She won the school’s American Mathematics competition in 2012 and received the Award of Merit and President’s Award of Excellence. She plans to attend Ashland University and major in music education.
- Madeline Anastacia Miller is the salutatorian. She is the daughter of Catherine Miller and the late Capt. Philip J. Miller. She is a member of St. Agnes Parish. She received the George Wenner Memorial Scholarship, Knights of Columbus Council 4361 Music Award and the University of Dayton Trustees’ Merit Scholarship. She participated in the marching band for four years as a percussionist, concert band for four years, steel drum band for three years and the OVAC All-Star Band for one year. She took part in the solo and ensemble competition for three years, receiving superior ratings, and played in the pit orchestra for two musicals. She was a member of the National Honor Society, Key Club, pep club, Catholic Daughters Club, SADD and foreign language club. She was a member of the soccer and softball teams for one year. She was named to the principal’s list all four years and earned three academic letters. She was awarded the President’s Education Award and Award of Merit. She received an Honors Diploma and Honors Curriculum. She plans to attend the University of Dayton and major in mechanical engineering.
- Mary Burton is the daughter of David and Pamela Burton. She is a member of Holy Family Parish. She received the Victor J. and Louise Oprish Scholarship. She was a member of SADD, Catholic Daughters Club, foreign language club and the National Honor Society. She assisted in the productions of “Cinderella,” “Bye, Bye, Birdie,” “Once Upon a Mattress” and “A Little Princess.” She was a member of the marching, concert and steel drum bands for four years. She received three academic letters, was named to the principal’s list for four years and received the Honors Curriculum award. She plans to attend the Franciscan University of Steubenville and major in chemistry.
- Kate Kaldor is the daughter of George and Melissa Kaldor. She is a member of St. Francis Catholic Church. She received the Provost and Vimla Kakaria scholarships. She was a member of the Catholic Daughters Club; SADD; foreign language club; Key Club; drama club; academic team, serving as co-captain; National Honor Society; varsity pep club and music ministry. She was an athletic trainer and received a two-year letter and participated in track and field, for which she received a two-year letter. She also participated in soccer for one year. She received the Ohio High School Athletic Association Respect the Game State Award. She took part in the productions of “Cinderella,” “Once Upon a Mattress” and “A Little Princess,” in which she was lead dancer. She earned three academic letters and was named to the principal’s list for four years. She received an Honors Curriculum, Honors Diploma, State Board of Education Award of Merit, President’s Award for Academic Excellence, and American history award and an introduction to computers award. She plans to attend Ohio State University and major in bio-chemistry/pre-dentistry.
- Helen Kovach is the daughter of Edward and Martha Kovach. She is a member of Holy Family Parish, where she is an altar server and choir member. She received the Sign Language I award, three academic letters, the Pugliese Charitable Foundation Scholarship, Honors curriculum, State Board of Education Award of Merit, President’s Award for Excellence, Principal’s List and Honors Diploma and was an American Mathematics Competition school winner. She was a member of the Catholic Daughters Club, foreign language club, track team, drama club, National Honor Society, Chinese club, SADD, music ministry, show choir, concert choir and Fourth Street Health Center Young Ambassador. She was a three-year member of the varsity Academic Team, which qualified for the regional competition for three years, and named captain her senior year. She plans to attend St. Mary’s College, from where she received the Presidential Scholarship and the Catholic College Tuition Exchange. She plans to major in French and political science.
- Kristen Marie Looman is the daughter of Debra Van Camp and Robert Looman. She is a member of Blessed Sacrament Parish. She was a member of SADD, serving as president; Key Club, serving as treasurer; National Honor Society, serving as president; pep club; Catholic Daughters Club and foreign language club. She played soccer for four years and received four varsity letters. She was captain her senior year and was named to second- team All-OVAC; an OVAC All-Star; second-team All-District and Eastern District All-Star. She played basketball for two years and track for one year. She received the Award of Merit, was named to the Principal’s List for four years, earned three academic letters and received the Honors Curriculum award, President’s Education Award, Scholar Athlete Award and was the American Math Competition test winner her sophomore year. She received the Kiwanis Club of Steubenville award. She plans to attend OSU and major in biology and athletic training.
- Doug Maslowski is the son of Anita and Ted Maslowski. He is a member of the Triumph of the Cross Parish. He received the Provost Scholarship, Macedonia-Press Award, Vimla Kakaria Outstanding Senior Scholarship and Knights of Columbus Scholarship. He was a member of SADD, Key Club and National Honor Society. He also received the Honors Curriculum award, President’s Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, three academic letters and the OHSAA Scholar Athlete Award. He was the district and regional champion in track in the 110 meter hurdles in 2012 and placed second in the state for 110 meter hurdles in 2012. He lettered all four years. He was fourth in all-time school history points in football in a single season and tied the school’s record for touchdowns in a game, at five. He was named first-team Jefferson County in football, as well as was a member of the Ohio team in the quad-county all-star game and he lettered both years. He plans to attend Penn State University and major in pre-medicine.
- Christopher James Pentes is the son of Kimberly and Geoffrey Pentes. He is a member of Blessed Sacrament Parish. He was a member of the National Honor Society, Key Club, SADD and foreign language club. He earned two varsity letters in golf. He received three academic letters, was named an Honors Curriculum and Honors Diploma award winner. He was named to the honor roll and principal’s list all four years, received the President’s Award for Educational Excellence and the Award of Merit. He received the Miami University of Ohio Merit and Dr. Edward Jagela scholarships. He plans to attend Miami University of Ohio and major in biochemistry.
- Rachel Rigaud is the daughter of Jean-Philippe and Maria Rigaud. She is a member of the Triumph of the Cross Parish. She was a member of the Catholic Daughters Club, National Honor Society, drama club, foreign language club, SADD and student council. She played volleyball and was part of the team that won the OVAC 2A championship. She was named a basketball honorable mention District 5 all-star player and was a member of the school’s track OVAC 2A championship team. She participated in the productions of “Cinderalla,” “Bye, Bye, Birdie,” “Once Upon a Mattress” and “A Little Princess.” She was a four-year member of the marching and concert bands. She was named the AMC 12 winner and received the Honors Curriculum award, Award of Merit and the President’s Educational Award. She received the Catholic Presidential Scholarship, Michael J. Barber Scholar-Athlete Award and St. Genesis Society Award for music/drama. She plans to attend Xavier University and major in occupational therapy.
- Mary Grace Thibault is the daughter of Roger and Marilyn Thibault. She is a member of Sacred Heart Parish in Hopedale. She was a member of SADD, National Honor Society, Catholic Daughters Club, drama club, the talent show, academic team, choir, music ministry, yearbook staff and foreign language club. She participated in the Ohio Music Education Association’s solo and ensemble music competition for piano, voice and ensemble. She was a member of the track team her junior year and received a varsity letter. She was a cast member in “Once Upon a Mattress” and “A Little Princess.” She received awards for Spanish I, II and III, Lab Integrated Science, Algebra I and College Prep Algebra II, World History, Geography, Health and Junior Religion. She was named to the Principal’s List all four years and earned a Award of Merit and a certificate for the highest grade in the Americanism and Government program from the American Legion. She also earned awards in Senior Religion, AP English IV, Spanish IV and Honors Curriculum and received three academic letters. She plans to attend OSU and major in atmospheric science. She received the Alumnae House Waiver from OSU, Provost scholarship, Richard C. Hetherington Scholarship, Women’s Club of Steubenville Scholarship, Lions Club Scholarship and the Wayne White and Bob Evans Legacy Scholarship.
Other members of the Class of 2013 are Carly Marie Abraham, Rachel Irene Antonelli, Dustin James Bates, Stephen Anthony Rocky Butto, Michael Carmen Carapellotti, Connor Robert Cercone, Taylor Marie Clark, Joseph Ray DeFallo, Ashley Nicole DeStefano, Frank DiCarlantonio III, Toni Jean DiPietro, John-Anthony Pasquale D’Ulisse, Harley John Ehrman, Morgan Patricia Elson, Alexandra Joy Evangelho, Jordan Marie Fabian, Samantha Ann Fornsaglio, Lucas Michael Gallabrese, Samantha Marie Giannamore, Michaela O’Neil Gotta, Lauren Elizabeth Haines, Richard Aaron Happ, Kali Ann Harper, Zachary William Herrington, Alexandra Charmaine Inomata, Rachel Verena Irvin, Victoria Rose Knight, Michaliah Danielle Koehnlein, Steven James Kotur, Kyle Hunter Laukert, Cuyler Christopher Ledyard, Mark Alexander Lopez, Colton Vincent Mannarino, Haley Marcia McCalister, Lauren Michelle Meronoff, Erin Lynn Mulroney, Kaitlyn Marie Nese, Jenna Nicole Ogden, Sarah Anne Padgett, Sydney Elizabeth Parks, Eliese Nicole Pergi, Sarah Elizabeth Scott, Katiri Jenna Snyder, Rachel Danielle Sommers, Geno Anthony Taglione, Tyler Joseph Wilson, Kevan Joseph Zapolnik and Taylor Ann Zapolnik.