Brooke municipalities vote Tuesday
Voters in Bethany, Follansbee, Wellsburg and Windsor Heights will be going to the polls Tuesday to cast their votes for candidates in various public offices, including mayor, police chief and council seats.
The polling sites will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
In Bethany, seven have declared their candidacy for five seats on Bethany Council. They are incumbent Linda Chivers of Main Street, challenger Thom Furbee of 99 Logan Court, incumbent Helen Moren of 202 Pendleton St., incumbent Ted Pauls of 117 Roosevelt Ave., challenger Kerry Shaulis of Pendleton St., incumbent Patrick Sutherland of 101 Point Breeze Drive and incumbent Gray Williamson of 105 Point Breeze Drive.
Candidates in Follansbee are:
– Mayor: Challenger Ben Arthurs of 814 Gilbert Ave. and incumbent David Velegol Jr. of 400 Heathermoor Drive.
– Police chief: Challenger Paul Arthurs of 814 Gilbert Ave. and incumbent John Schwertfeger of 1083 Jefferson St.
– 1st Ward Council seat: Tom McMillan of 427 Main St. and Vito “Skip” Cutrone of 514 Rose St. Incumbent Jim Miller chose not to seek re-election.
– 2nd Ward Council seat: Helen “Honey” Hedmond of 1050 Virginia Ave. and Dave Secrist of 726 Allegheny St. Incumbent Tom DiBattista chose not to seek re-election.
Candidates in Wellsburg are:
– Police Chief: incumbent Stanley Kins of 522 Main St. and challenger Rudy Sovinski of 1604 Charles St.
– 1st Ward Council: Challenger David Holden of 736 Charles St. and incumbent Bruce Hunter of Rear 18 Main St.
– 2nd Ward Council: Incumbent Ron Michaux of 1519 Charles St. and challenger Brian Tennant of 1407 Charles St.
– 4th Ward Council: Charles Harris of 2501 Charles St., Janet P. Knox of Rear 82 26th St., Virginia Mae McAfee of 72 27th St. and Mark Williams of 2311 Main St.
No one declared candidacy before the filing period for candidates ended, but the four above since have filed as official write-in candidates for the seat.
As a result, their names will be posted at the ward’s polling place and voters who want to support one of them must write in the candidate of their choice.
Candidates in Windsor Heights are:
– Mayor: Stacy Hornick of 378 Toat Ave. and James Smith of 319 Toat Ave. Incumbent Bill Liposchak of 381 Toat Ave. has filed as an official write-in candidate.
– Council (five at-large seats): Challengers Judith Ann Bartz of 371 Toat Ave. and Grace Davis of 211 Francis Ave., and incumbents Herbert Hupp of 722 Diotti St., Tuson Johnston of 275 Francis Ave., John Kokokinski Jr. of 1110 Stipandic St., Karen Klyne of 924 Machnicki St. and Charles “Chuck” Miller of Toat Ave.
Windsor Heights voters will cast their ballots at the village’s fire hall, while Bethany voters will cast votes at the Bethany Town Hall. Some Bethany voters have submitted their ballots by mail through a pilot program held by the state Secretary of State’s office.
Follansbee’s polling sites are: 1st Ward, Follansbee Branch Library; 2nd Ward, Follansbee City Building; 3rd Ward, Follansbee Community House; 4th Ward, Robert Roksandich residence at 1299 Walker Road; and 5th Ward, Follansbee Community House.
Wellsburg’s polling sites are: 1st Ward, Wellsburg Methodist Church on Charles Street; 2nd Ward, Wellsburg Banquet Hall, formerly known as the Wellsburg Fire Hall on 12th Street; 3rd Ward, Wellsburg Baptist Church on Charles Street; 4th Ward, Wellsburg Community of Christ Church on 26th Street.
Those with questions about the election may call (304) 737-2104 in Wellsburg, (304) 527-1330 in Follansbee, (304) 829-4539 in Bethany or (304) 394-3647 in Windsor Heights.