Trinity celebrates National Catholic Sisters Week
STEUBENVILLE – National Catholic Sisters Week is launching the second week of March as part of National Women’s History Month. It is intended to shine a national spotlight on the good works and good will of Catholic sisters. It recognizes past and present sisters, from the movers and shakers pressing the front lines of social change to the faithful praying in cloistered chapels.
Trinity Health System is recognizing the sisters who work tirelessly throughout the organization. In 1901, the Gill Hospital opened on North Sixth Street near the Acme Glass Works, J.J. Gill’s primary business. The Gill was the first institution to offer professional hospital services to the sick and injured in Steubenville.
In June 1960, the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania opened the new hospital in the West End, St. John Hospital, built at the end of Johnson Road behind Catholic Central High School and the land that soon would be the home of the new St. John Arena. Sister Agatha, who had served as administrator of the Gill Hospital, continued in that same capacity at St. John Medical Center.
The hospital was on a 22-acre plot bought from the Diocese of Steubenville. When it opened, it had 104 beds and had expansion capability for the addition of three floors to allow for a total of 224 beds.
In 1968, it was announced the Gill would close so that all efforts would be put toward the expansion of St. John Medical Center.
Thirty-five Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania have served at St. John Hospital and Trinity Health System.
Other sisters from other communities also have worked and served at Trinity.
According to Keith Murdock, Trinity spokesman, “The sisters who have served at St. John and Trinity Health System have left a legacy of high-quality, compassionate care and we cannot express our gratitude enough for their time spent here.”