Summit Avenue fire extinguished

STEUBENVILLE The Steubenville Fire Department responded to a call shortly after midnight regarding a fire at 376 Summit Ave.

According to Assistant Chief Frank Deleonardis, firefighters arrived to find a two-story, wood-frame residence burning with the front door open. The residents were not home at the time.

Three dogs were rescued from the basement of the house, and one died from smoke inhalation on the first floor.

According to officials, the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen, possibly in a garbage can. An investigation is ongoing.