Traffic commission recommends dedicated parking area

WEIRTON — The Weirton Traffic Commission recommended a new handicap parking area to be dedicated for a city resident, and also suggested a change to the length of time before such spaces should be renewed.

During the commission meeting Thursday, members revisited a request on behalf of Olivia Oklok, at 145 Phillips St. The request was to dedicate a personal handicap parking space across the street from Oklok’s residence, placing it in front of 144 Phillips St.

The request had been tabled in August to provide the commission an opportunity to gather more information.

Commissioner Dave Guglielmo said he spoke to the owner of 144 Phillips St.

“He said, very nicely, he has no problem with the handicap request,” Guglielmo said.

Chairman Romie Castelli said Oklok had filed and submitted the application, as well as paid the $40 fee.

The request was approved 5-0.

In a related matter, Castelli suggested an amendment to the handicap space ordinance in the city, changing the renewal period from every two years to every four years.

The city’s ordinance originally was enacted in 1993. The recommendation will be sent to Weirton Council for consideration.

In other business, Ward 1 Councilman Tim Connell requested the removal of a no-parking zone on St. John’s Road in the Weircrest section of the city.

“We have yellow curbs, all the way down, on both sides,” Connell said, requesting the yellow line be removed from the west side of the street.

Connell said he already has spoken with both the city’s police chief and fire chief, and had received no objection.

Castelli said the commission has addressed several issues in that area of the city, and agreed the action would help to free up some parking space.

“I think we’re all familiar with that area of Weircrest,” Castelli said

The commission agreed to the request, with City Clerk Kathy Mrvos saying she would research if the no-parking area had been established by ordinance. If it had, the recommendation will go before council. If not, a work order will be issued to the Public Works Department.

(Howell can be contacted at, and followed via Twitter @CHowellWDT)