Council OKs contract settlement, budget
WEIRTON — Weirton Council, during its meeting Monday, unanimously approved a resolution authorizing a settlement agreement for a pair of lawsuits filed in 2015 by the city’s police and fire unions over holiday pay.
Council also unanimously approved the second reading of an ordinance to establish new salary ranges for members of the Weirton Firefighters Association Local 948.
While no comments were offered by council, City Manager Travis Blosser previously explained the settlement would involve each union — WFA Local 948 and the Fraternal Order of Police 84 — receiving $175,000.
Ordinances establishing new salary rates for members of each union also were part of the agreement.
Also before council Monday was a resolution for the city’s 2018-2019 fiscal year general fund and coal severance budgets. A public hearing was held prior to the budgets’ passage, with no comments offered by council or residents in attendance.
The general fund budget has a projected $18,898,251 in revenue, with a fund balance of $1.5 million and an operating budget of $17,398,251.
The city has estimated receiving $80,070 for the coal severance budget.
Council also unanimously passed:
• An ordinance establishing a dedicated residential disability parking space at 216 Lane St;
• The first reading of an ordinance establishing a 15-minute parking sign, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., except Sundays, at 3666 Lindberg Way;
• A resolution adopting the updated Brooke-Hancock Regional Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan;
• A resolution authorizing revisions to the 2017-2018 fiscal year general fund budget;
• A resolution placing a lien at 224 Avenue E for the costs of demolition;
• The second reading of an ordinance abandoning a portion of an unnamed 16-foot alley, the western portion of Avenue F with utility easement and a 15-foot alley known as Alley K.
In other business, through mayoral proclamation, council declared March 21 as National Kick Butts Day and March 29 as National Vietnam War Veterans Day.
(Howell can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org, and followed via Twitter @CHowellWDT)