Oglebay park plans slate of activities for celebration
WHEELING — Oglebay Park’s 90th birthday will be feted with a community celebration Saturday and Sunday, featuring fireworks, concerts, historical tours and other activities.
Festivities will include:
• Birthday fireworks display over Schenk Lake at 9:45 p.m. Saturday.
• Musical performances Saturday at Schenk Lake by Justin Rector from 6-7:30 p.m. and Eli Lambie and The Mojo Kings from 7:45-9:15 p.m.
• 90th Birthday 5K run-walk at 9 a.m. Saturday.
Registration begins at 8 a.m. at the main entrance of the Oglebay Good Zoo. There is a cost to participate; prizes will be awarded to top finishers. Online registration is available at https://goo.gl/HQSZzq. The race will be followed by a 30-minute post-race yoga stretch. The cost is payable in cash on race day.
• Free historical property tours of Oglebay, departing from the Oglebay Mansion at 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. The walking tours will include picturesque views of Oglebay’s 2,000-acre property and interesting historical facts in celebration of the park’s 90th birthday.
• Free tours of the Good Zoo Vet Hospital, departing from the zoo lobby at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
• Free admission to Oglebay Institute’s Mansion Museum and Glass Museum from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. The Mansion Museum’s new exhibit, “A Farm Becomes a Park,” details the property’s transformation from a private farm to a public park through a collection of photos and postcards.
• Reduced-price admission to the Crispin Center Pool and Fountains of Fun attraction from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.
• Free face painting and balloon animals with Doozy the Clown at Schenk Lake from 1-5 p.m. Saturday.
• Inflatable rides and rock climbing wall in the lower parking lot at Schenk Lake from 3-8 p.m. Saturday. There is a cost to participate in these activities.
• Pony rides at Oglebay’s stables from 2-6 p.m. Saturday.
• Specially-priced popcorn and small fountain drinks at the Schenk Lake boathouse and Good Zoo concession stand every day through Labor Day.
In addition, Oglebay is offering special discounts through Labor Day on activity wristbands every Wednesday, select spa services at the West Spa and a Zookeeper for a Day program that takes visitors behind the scenes at the Good Zoo to meet kangaroos, meerkats, miniature donkeys and red pandas.
A new Family 4-Pack activity package includes Good Zoo admission with train ride and Lorikeet feeding, Aerial Challenge Course admission, mini golf, pedal boat, aqua cycle and kayak rentals for four people.
This special offer is available every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through Labor Day.
Special treats include birthday cake batter ice cream available for purchase at Farm House Sweets & Treats and Schenk Lake boathouse, a signature Oreo birthday cake dessert at the Ihlenfeld Dining Room and Glassworks Grill and birthday cake lattes at Sarita’s Coffee in Wilson Lodge.