Show compassion for your pets
To the Editor,
With the Fourth of July just a few days away, Phantom Fireworks would like to remind our friends and customers that some pets adversely react to the lights and noise of fireworks. With a little extra effort, our pets can be spared the trauma they sometimes experience from fireworks.
Phantom Fireworks asks the you please be mindful of the following:
• Keep your pets indoors during fireworks displays.
• Turn on your television or radio and air conditioning to help mask the noise of the fireworks. Keep pets in a soothing, dark room with light jazz or classical music playing. The idea is to muffle the noise from the fireworks with something soothing. Close draperies to help soundproof the residence,
• Many suggest walking or exercising the pet prior to the fireworks in an effort to tire out the pet in the hopes it will sleep through the fireworks.
• Be home or have someone at home indoors with the pet to offer encouragement and support.
• Close all windows and doors and block pet doors to prevent escape.
• You could try distracting the pet as soon as the fireworks begin by involving the pet with something enjoyable like a game of fetch.
• Prepare a safe area where the pet can burrow in to feel safe. Maybe some blankets under a bed or a blanket draped over a small table. Play a radio near the area. Feeding the pet in the area will help the pet associate the area with other good things.
• Do not take your animal to a fireworks show or let the pet outdoors while fireworks are being used.
• You might consider consulting with your veterinarian. Some pets might require sedation. The veterinarian could suggest some behavior modification techniques.
Many of these suggestions have come from the Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif..; Blue Cross for Pets (United Kingdom); the Humane Society of the United States; and the Telegraph (United Kingdom.)
Phantom Fireworks hopes you enjoy the Independence Day holiday safely and show courtesy and compassion to your pets and animals.
William A. Weimer