Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Regional Roundup

September 13, 2011
Weirton Daily Times

Library friends to meet Thursday

FOLLANSBEE - The Friends of the Follansbee Library are re-organizing and will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at the library at 844 Main St.

Led by Gail Meloy, president, the group plans to renew efforts to establish a history room at the library and pursue other activities in partnership with the Follansbee Chamber of Commerce.

Eastern Gateway's annual yard sale set

STEUBENVILLE - Eastern Gateway Community College's annual community yard sale is planned from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday on the Jefferson County campus.

The sale is to include household goods, used clothes, knickknacks, homemade crafts and treats.

Proceeds from the rental of space benefit the student groups at the college.

The sale is set in the college's Sunset Boulevard parking lot. Admission is free.

Tractor-truck pull

set at fairgrounds

SMITHFIELD -A tractor-truck pull is planned Saturday at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds.

Registration is at 5 p.m., and the event begins at 6 p.m.

PERI slated to meet Wednesday

WINTERSVILLE - Jefferson County Public Employee Retirees will hold their monthly meeting at noon Wednesday at Zalenski's.

Guest speaker will be Mike Hogan of the Ohio State University Extension Office.

For information, contact Jerry Krupinski at (740) 264-3633.

No one hurt in fire at church

WEIRTON - At least two people escaped unharmed from a fire at a Weirton church after initially dismissing a loud noise as a vehicle backfiring outside.

According to Weirton fire Lt. Paul Starvaggi, firefighters were dispatched to the First Church of the Nazarene at 475 Colliers Way at 11:10 a.m. Monday. He said the fire's apparent cause was a malfunctioning portable dehumidifier in the church's basement.

Starvaggi said he wasn't sure exactly how many people were inside, though he believed the church's pastor and an office employee were present. The flames didn't spread far beyond the dehumidifier and the building sustained only smoke damage, he noted.

According to Starvaggi, those inside heard a noise that sounded like an explosion but believed it came from outside. A few minutes later, however, they went downstairs to investigate a strange odor and found the dehumidifier on fire.

No one was hurt, and Starvaggi said the fire was nearly out when crews arrived. He said it didn't take long to bring the fire under control, and those who escaped were able to return to the building after firefighters used fans to clear the building of smoke.

 
 

EZToUse.com

I am looking for: