Salvation Army annual
civic dinner Sept. 11
Numerous awards, including the prestigious Others Award, will be presented when the Salvation Army of Steubenville holds its annual civic dinner at 6 p.m. Sept. 11 at St. Florian Hall in Wintersville.
Patricia Fletcher of Steubenville, retired educator and administrator who is involved in many organizations, will receive the Others Award, according to Maj. Earline May.
The evening also will include the presentation of four surprise community service awards and a Volunteer of the Year award.
The media award will be presented to the Herald-Star.
The keynote speakers will be Col. Steve Howard and his wife, Col. Janice Howard of Cleveland. He is the division commander, Northeast Ohio Salvation Army operations. She is divisional director of women's ministries of the Salvation Army.
Tickets are on sale for $30 each with tables of eight able to be reserved for $200.
Deadline for reservations is Saturday. All proceeds benefit the Salvation Army of Steubenville.
For tickets, contact the Salvation Army at (740) 282-5121.
Farm bureau annual meeting set for Sept. 6
The Jefferson County Farm Bureau annual meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Sept. 6 at the Countryside Restaurant on state Route 43.
"How Did That Get in My Lunchbox" will be the theme of the evening, taken from an Ohio Farm Bureau Federation approved book for youth showing the proper foods to eat.
There will be a "Meet the Candidates" reception at 6 p.m.
The cost is $20. For information, call (740) 266-6603 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be broasted chicken, baked ham, chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, tossed salad and homemade pies.
Scholarships will be presented, and the outstanding agriculture teacher will be announced.
Mt. Pleasant Historical Society plans event
A "Christmas Deco in September and Bake Sale" of the Historical Society of Mount Pleasant will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 8 on Union Street at the Elizabeth House Mansion and the Burriss Store in Mount Pleasant.
Vintage Christmas decorations, "priced-reduced" Burriss Store Gift Shop items and homemade baked goods will be available.
All proceeds are used to maintain historic sites and provide educational opportunities.
Mount Pleasant is located on Scenic Byway state Route 150 in southern Jefferson County.
For information, call (800) 752-2631.
Upcoming programs announced by the Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County include the following:
- Play and Learn for caregiver and children ages birth to 3 will be held at the Schiappa branch at 11 a.m. Thursday.
- Gaming For Teens will be offered at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Schiappa branch.
- Registration is under way for Tot Time that will be held at the Schiappa branch. Tot Time is for caregiver and children ages 2 and 3. It will be offered Mondays, Sept. 10-24 at 6 p.m.; Tuesdays, Sept.11-25 at 10 a.m.; and Wednesdays, Sept. 12-26 at 11 a.m. Call the library at (740) 264-6166 to register.
- The Schiappa branch's book club will meet at 6 p.m. today. To join, call (740) 264-6166. The Tiltonsville branch's thriller book club also will meet at 6 p.m. today. Call the Tiltonsville branch at (740) 859-5163 for information.The main library's book club will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. Join by calling the main library at (740) 282-9782.
- Babygarten for caregiver and children ages birth to 2 will be held at the Adena branch at 11:15 a.m. Thursday.
Follansbee Class of 1958
reunion group to meet
The Follansbee High School Class of 1958 reunion committee will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Vito's Restaurant in Follansbee.
Any class member who would like to be on the committee is invited to attend.
in Jewett Saturday
The Jewett United Methodist Church's 28th-annual Effie Stewart Chicken Barbecue will be held from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday at the church located at 202 West Main St.
The menu will include half a chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dessert and drink for $8. The cost for a children's dinner is $4.
Takeout is available by calling (740) 946-5591.
The Trinity Saint Jude Guild met Aug. 8 at the Steubenville Country Club with the group's newest member, Becky Manion, welcomed.
The hostess for the meeting was Virginia Belardine.
Following the meeting and lunch, 500 bid was played with first prize awarded to Adrianna Marangoni, second prize awarded to Eleanor DeLoretta and third prize won by Marcella Wells.
Virginia Honey Farr took home the booby prize.
DeLoretta will serve as hostess at the September meeting.