Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Plotting against America

September 9, 2012
Weirton Daily Times

To the Editor,

Now that the RNC convention, or as I refer to it "lie fest 2012" is over, let's take a quick look at the strategy of the Republicans. They answer the charges of more lies than ever with "We won't let fact-checkers run our campaign." Translation, we want nothing to do with the truth. We can't win it that way.

Clint Eastwood's conversation with furniture illustrates their strategy - it's all good when we can make up both sides of a conversation. It doesn't work so well when there is someone occupying the furniture. Dirty Harry, Tricky Dick, what's the difference?

Paul Ryans' budget and tax plan is a sham that makes snake oil sound relatively reasonable. he would like Romney's tax to be 82-one-hundredth of a percent and your s to be much higher. We do have to pay for tax cuts for the wealthiest 2 percent of us somehow.

As far as Medicare goes, an extra $6,500 out of pocket for all of us and a voucher doesn't begin to cover the cost of health care. He should be arrested for the attempted murder of Medicare.

Aside from a "not so Supreme Court" ruling that Republican appointees supported, corporations are not people, and the wealthiest 2 percent among us should not be able to purchase the government that suits their greedy special interests. The remaining 98 percent of us should be represented as well as the 2 percent. It's not class warfare until we fight back.

Their whole theme hinges on the President Barack Obama's "You didn't build that" comment. It is clear that they understand perfectly well that he was referring to infrastructure - streets, roads, bridges, water - things that we built collectively that make businesses able to succeed.

They didn't build the Hoover Dam collectively, but the power it produces serves the public and private business as well. It serves the 2 percent as well as the 98 percent.

Lies about Medicare, welfare, national security don't serve the public interest. Unfortunately, I have a word limit to adhere to or I could go on debunking.

Now to the focus of which every American citizen should be aware of. On the evening of Jan. 19, 2009. as our newly inaugurated president was still dancing with his smiling wife, Republican leadership was meeting less than two miles away - Newt Gingrich, Mitch McConnell, Ryan and John Boehner.

Was the purpose of the meeting to find common ground with the president, to decide where they could compromise to provide possible solutions that he may not have been aware of? Sadly, no. The purpose was, in fact, to plot against the successes of the new president, and attempt to obstruct his progress and simply make him look bad.

To plot against the success of an American president is to plot against the success of America. This was not leadership, this was, at its best, subversion, and at its worst, treason. No one can deny that it was treacherous.

Bob Atkinson


I am looking for: