Ten Brooke County students will be among more than 100 students from throughout West Virginia whose mathematical skills will be challenged in a fast-paced competition Saturday in Charleston.
Nine pupils in grades fourth through ninth have advanced to the West Virginia Math Field competition after placing among the top three in their respective grade levels at a regional competition held March 2 at Wheeling Park High School.
Students in grades 10th-12th were among the top 10 finishers in that grade division. Paraag Gupta, a 10th-grader at Brooke High School, will compete in that age division after placing fifth in the regional competition.
BOUND FOR THE STATE — Wellsburg Middle School pupils competing in the West Virginia Math Field Day competition are, front, from left, Riley McAllister, Max Camilletti and Emily Donley; and back, Margaret Camilletti and Rhiannon Macom.
Representing the county's two middle schools in the following grades are:
- Fourth grade: Ethan Robey of Colliers Primary School, who placed second at the regional competition.
- Fifth grade: Riley McAllister and Max Camilletti, both of Wellsburg Middle School, who placed first and third, respectively, at regional level.
- Sixth grade: Connor Combs of Follansbee Middle School and Emily Donley of Wellsburg Middle School, who placed first and second, respectively, at regional level.
- Seventh grade: Margaret Camilletti, first at regional level.
- Eighth grade: Rhiannon Macom, second at regional level.
- Ninth grade: Dalton Minger of Brooke High School, first at regional level.
The contest involves the following segments:
- Mental exact, which requires students to provide, without the aid of a calculator, pen or pencil, the exact answer to a math problem given orally.
- Mental estimation, which requires the same mental work but because of the difficulty of the problems posed, the students' answer may be within 10 percent above or below the correct answer.
- The estimation room, where students estimate the length, volume, weight, capacity and number of a variety of every-day items.
- A 40-question written examination.
(Scott can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.)