Big Red, Weir cut short

WEIRTON – The inclement weather brought the latest edition of the red-and-black affair to a halt.

The Big Red and Weir softball teams battled it out for more than three innings of play in less than ideal conditions before the game between the local rivals was suspended in the bottom of the fourth inning Wednesday with Weir leading 3-2.

The stoppage was the second of the game. The previous stoppage came via a lightning delay after the first batter of the game. The game continued after the required break and continued until it was called when Samantha Tate stepped into the batter’s box to begin the bottom half of the fourth.

Big Red (3-5) head coach Gus DiMarzio said the starting and stopping and starting play again is tough on the players.

“On days like this you have to be prepared for anything,” he said. “The weather makes it tough.”

The game is scheduled to be continued at 5:30 p.m. April 22 at Franciscan University of Steubenville. The originally scheduled game between the teams for that day will take place following the completion of Wednesday’s game.

“Our girls really wanted this game,” Weir head coach Dave Hinerman said. “We had a bad game Monday against Catholic Central, and the girls were sky high for this one, but I will never risk letting the weather hurt one of my kids.”

Weir pitcher Micah DiBacco recorded five strikeouts while not allowing a walk in her four innings inside the circle. She did allow two runs on three hits.

Offensively, the Red Riders were limited to one hit. Jillian Karavanic contributed a base hit, and Ashlynn Drizake plated a run with a sacrifice fly. The host’s other two runs came as a result of an error on a dropped fly ball in the outfield.

Big Red pitcher Brooke Carroll recorded four strikeouts and four walks.

Offensively, catcher Mytia Barker contributed a run-scoring base hit, and Mallory Giannamore and Tenia Barker each collected singles. A wild pitch resulted in Big Red’s second run of the game.

Giannamore began the game with a base hit to center, and the ball got away and end up rolling under the fence, enabling Giannamore to take second base. The game was then delayed due to lightning.

After a sacrifice bunt by Tenia Barker, Mytia Barker ripped a single to score Giannamore making the score 1-0. Later in the inning, Big Red had runners on second and third, but DiBacco was able to pitch herself out of the jam to keep the score at 1-0.

Weir tied the game in the bottom half of the inning. Catcher Meikka Buffo walked to start the game, and she promptly stole second base.

She moved to third on a wild pitch before scoring on a sacrifice fly by Drizake to tie the score at 1.

The Red Riders plated two unearned runs in the bottom of the second to take a 3-1 lead.

Karavanic singled to start things off, and Morgan Rice was hit by a pitch. With two outs, Buffo lofted the ball into the left field, but the ball bounced out of the fielders’ glove allowing Kravanic and Rice to score.

Big Red pulled to within 3-2 with a run in the top of the third. Tenia Barker singled, and helped by an error she was able to move to third base. She scored on a wild pitch cutting the visitors deficit to one.

Both teams are scheduled to return to the field today. Big Red is scheduled to play at Union Local, while Weir is scheduled to play host to East Liverpool.

Weir 3, Big Red 2

Big Red 101 0 – 2 3 1

Weir 120 x – 3 1 3

BIG RED (3-5): Carroll (4K, 4BB) and Barker; Giannamore S; T. Barker S; M. Barker S, RBI.

WEIR (3-9): DiBacco (5K, 0BB) and Buffo; Drizake RBI; Karavanic S.