Edison falls short to Carrollton

RICHMOND – The tide turned, but it wasn’t enough to change the end result.

Thanks in large part to several big play, the Carrollton football team raced out to a 25-0 halftime lead over Edison. The Wildcats righted the ship in the second half as Edison tallied four touchdowns, but it was not enough.

The Warriors scored a late insurance touchdown en route to a 39-25 victory Friday night at Cartwright Memorial Field.

“I think we came out with doubt in our minds,” first-year Edison (1-1) head coach Derrick Stickles said. “We were unsure of ourselves. When you are unsure of yourself, bad things happen.

“We don’t want them to be unsure but to be certain.

“I told them that if they went out in the second half and played their butts off and did everything they could and were able to look at themselves in the mirror tonight and know they did their best to win the game I would be OK with it. If they went out there and folded, and they weren’t able to look at themselves in the mirror and they didn’t do their best to win the game, I wouldn’t be OK with it.

“After that, I am more than OK with what happened.”

The Wildcats’ biggest issue of the night was slowing down Carrollton running back Tyler Dodd. Dodd dominated the game from the opening series, as the junior set a school record with 324 yards on the ground. He also scored four touchdowns with three of the scores coming from more than 30 yards out.

The Warriors (2-0) scored touchdowns on their first three drives of the game to take control of the game.

Carrollton collected 352 yards and five touchdowns on the ground overall. The Warriors tacked on 135 yards through the air to finish with 487 yards of total offense.

Edison ended up with 324 yards through the air and 112 on the ground to finish the night with 436 yards of offense.

Senior quarterback Nolan Marcus led the way for the Wildcats. He threw for 323 yards and two touchdowns, and he also ran for 73 yards and another touchdown.

Carrollton opened the scoring in the first quarter when Dodd rambled 31 yards for a touchdown on the first drive of the game. The touchdown was set up by a 34-pass from Deitz to Warner down to the 31.

The kick failed, and the Warriors led 6-0 with 9:59 left to play in the quarter.

On the Warriors’ next drive, Dodd broke through the Wildcats’ defense on his way to an 87-yard scoring run. The point after came up short, and the visitors led 12-0 with 8:19 still play in the stanza.

“He’s a great running back,” Stickles said. “He runs hard. He moves well. He’s tough to bring down. We did what we could, but we just came up short this week.”

After Edison missed a field goal, Carrollton began its next possession at its own 7. After 12-yard scamper by Deitz, Dodd broke free for an apparent 81-yard touchdown. An illegal block brought the ball back to Edison’s 44, but the Warriors were not to be denied on the drive.

Carrollton continued to move the ball down the field, and Deitz capped the march with a 1-yard run. The 2-point conversion pass fell incomplete, and the score was 18-0 with 11:29 left to play before halftime.

As they had to begin the half, the Warriors ended the half with a touchdown.

With time running down, Carrollton drove 65 yards or its fourth touchdown of the game. The drive was capped when Deitz hooked up with Warner for a 35-yard scoring strike with just 10 seconds remaining in the half. Daniel Leary tacked on the extra point to put the victors up 25-0.

“We are going to watch film and fix our mistakes,” Stickles said. “We are going to keep working on the little things. We are going to work to cut down on our penalties. We are going to work on our tackling. We are going to move forward. We are going to keep working on the little things because they are so important.”

The Wildcats began to claw their way back into the game on the first offensive play of the second half when Marcus hooked up with Strom Allese on a 78-yard catch-and-run touchdown. The kick failed, and Edison trailed 25-6 with 11:39 left to play in the quarter.

Carrollton fumbled on its first offensive play of the half, and Edison recovered the ball at the Warriors’ 45.

The Wildcats were able to quickly turn the turnover into points when Marcus hooked up with Devan Tennant on a 37-yard scoring strike. The 2-point conversion pass fell incomplete, but the hosts were able to cut their deficit to 25-12 with 10:11 seconds left to be played in the third quarter.

Both teams punted the ball on their next possessions.

On its third possession of the third quarter, the Warriors were forced to punt from their own 21, but they were never able to get the punt off. There was a low snap, and Lynk Tranter dropped to his knee to try and field it. His knee hit at the 10, and that is where Edison took over.

The Wildcats were able to take advantage of the miscue as Marcus ran for a touchdown on 4th-and-goal from 11. This time, Marcus converted the extra point, and Edison now trailed just 25-19 with 1:51 left to play in the third.

The Warriors gained some breathing room less than three minutes into the fourth quarter. Dodd plowed his way into the end zone from the 3, and Leary’s PAT put the visitors out in front, 32-19, with 9:16 left to play in the game.

Dodd’s touchdown came after Marcus was intercepted by Caleb Pasiuk. Carrollton began the drive at the Edison 9.

Though they trailed by two scores, the Wildcats still had plenty of fight left in them.

Edison closed the gap to seven points a little more than five minutes later. Ethan Shannon scored on a 4-yard run. The extra point was short, and the Wildcats trailed 32-25 with four minutes left to play.

The Edison defense needed to come up with a stop, but the Wildcats were unable to stop Dodd and company. Dodd capped the scoring in the game when he ripped off a 39-yard touchdown run with 2:29 showing on the clock. Leary converted the extra point to make the score 39-25.

Both teams are on the road next week. Edison plays at Weir, while Carrollton travels to Claymont.

“We are going to focus on our mistakes,” Stickles said. “We are going to fix those. We are going to lick our wounds. We are going to watch film tomorrow. We went to get better as a team. We are going to watch film on Monday with them, and we are going to prepare for Weir.”