Red Riders cruise past Lady Wildcats

RICHMOND – Weir wanted it more than Edison.

The Red Riders outscored the Wildcats in each half enabling the Weir girls’ soccer team to surpass the .500 mark for the season with a 6-2 victory Wednesday evening at Edison.

“I feel bad about the circumstances of the game,” Weir (6-5) head coach Jessica Naughton said. “It was tough on Edison. They have played four or five games recently. The circumstances of the game were tough, but for us it was nice to get a win.

“The girls worked together. The girls played hard. We scored our first goal less than two minutes into the game. It was good to start the game off on a positive note.

“Their first goal was a nice goal. They were able to come back a little bit, but we didn’t get down. We kept playing.”

Coaches worry about a letdown following a big win. Edison netted two goals in the final 6:65 to rally past Madonna, 3-2, Monday at home, but the Wildcats did not play with the same intensity against the Red Riders as they did against the Blue Dons.

“We definitely had a letdown,” Edison (6-3) head coach Jeremy Angelo said. “The kids didn’t come to play. We didn’t play the way we played the other day. You can’t do that against a team like Weir. They are a good team, and they come ready to play.

“They are not an 0-10 team. They were a 5-5 team. They play a tough schedule. They have girls who play travel soccer.

“We were not sharp today. We did not come to play. As a team, we were not ready to play. A couple of individuals played well. We played well in moments, but we did not play as a team. We did not play as a team the whole game.”

Francesca Farran finished with two goals and an assist to lead the way for Weir. Alyssa Shingle scored two goals, Alesia LeSane tallied a goal and an assist and Raegan Stead delivered a goal. Morgan Cassels assisted on two goals, while Abby Wells collected one.

Alyssa Kelly started the game in goal, making three saves before leaving in the second half with an injury. Madison Dalrymple made two saves after replacing Kelly between the posts. Kelly later returned to the game as a player on the field.

“We got two goals from freshman Francesca Farran,” Naughton said. “She was able to use her speed. She came out of nowhere on that corner kick, and she was able to get her left foot on it. That was nice to see.

“We scored two goals on corner kicks. That was good to see. We haven’t been scoring goals on corners. Moran Cassels assisted on both of the goals. That was good.”

Bethanie Bube netted both goals for Edison.

Hannah Miller assisted on Bube’s first goal. Bube’s second goal of the game came off of a rebound of her own shot.

Katie Oinonen ended up making 10 saves for the Wildcats. A hard shot hit her in the face less than two minutes into the game, but she was able to shake off and stay in the game.

At times, it seemed as if there were more Red Riders on the field than Wildcats.

“That is what happens when you pass it to them and not to us,” Angelo said. “We did not make it easy on ourselves. We have to pass the ball to us. We have to play the ball to space.

“Weir came to play today. They always do. They have some seniors who are doing a good job leading the team. They lead, and the other girls follow their lead.”

Edison gave up a goal to Madonna in the first 10 seconds of the second half during its game Monday. Wednesday, the Wildcats let in a goal less two minutes into their match against the Red Riders.

Wells sent a pass to Stead, who fired a shot that hit off the side of Oinonen’s face before going into the net. Stead’s goal put the girls from Hancock County out in front, 1-0, 86 seconds into the game.

The Red Riders added to their advantage less than eight minutes later.

Cassels took a free kick, was able to send the ball through the Edison defense and it found Shingle for a 2-0 lead 9:15 into the game.

The Wildcats cut their deficit in half a little more than a minute later.

Miller was able to gain possession of the ball in the back, and the senior sent the ball ahead to Bube, who weaved her way through the Weir defense before beating Kelly with a shot to make the score 2-1 with 29:36 left to play before halftime.

“Edison has a couple of good freshmen,” Naughton said.

“I don’t know what grade she is in, but No. 27 (Bube) is a good forward for them.

“I know it was a frustrating game for them. You could see that with the yellow card.

“They didn’t do too much different than they normally do. No. 25 (Ashley Borsch) won some balls for them in the middle of the field. She gave us some problems.

“I don’t know if they are a young team. I know last year they went through a rebuilding period. It was a nice win for us against a good Edison team.

“It is always nice to get a win against the local teams.”

The Red Riders regained a two-goal lead and the momentum a little more than three minutes later. LeSane’s goal gave Weir a 3-1 lead with 26:33 remaining in the half.

Farran capped the scoring in the first half with a breakaway goal with 9:50 remaining to be played before halftime giving the Red Riders a 4-1 lead.

As it did in the first half, Weir opened the scoring in the second half.

Cassels and Shingle hooked up for the second time on a corner kick, and Shingle’s second goal of the match made the score 5-1 with 28:13 left to play in the second stanza.

Later in the half, Farran recorded her second goal of the game to increase the Red Riders’ lead to 6-1 with 16:50 left to play in the game.

Bube’s second goal of the game came with 9:39 left on the clock.

The game was final one for the teams before today’s cutoff for the OVAC Cup Tournament.

“We are improving,” Naughton said. “It was nice to get a win before the OVAC tournament. We will see what happens. If we don’t make it, we have other games scheduled.

“The girls really worked today. It was a nice win.”

Weir’s next scheduled game is at 10 a.m. Saturday at Harrison Central. Edison’s next game will depend on whether or not the Wildcats make it into the tournament.

“If we make it, we will play,” Angelo said.

“If we don’t make it, we will have to schedule a game.”