Community news from around the area
Harrison Cancer Crusaders
to host Saturday activities
CADIZ — The Harrison County Cancer Crusaders’ fourth-annual Race and Rally will feature a variety of activities on Saturday at Sally Buffalo Park in Cadiz.
All CDC guidelines will be followed. The schedule includes the following:
– 7:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.: Dine in and carryout breakfast by the Cadiz American Legion Post 34 Auxiliary.
– 8 a.m.: Race registration with the kids dash at 8:30 a.m., followed by the 5K at 9 a.m.
– 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.: The Drew Palmer memorial craft and vendor show at Wallace Lodge to raise awareness and funding for childhood cancer. “We will donate to research and help families at Pittsburgh Children’s Hospital with personal hygiene items, gas cards, meal vouchers and Halloween treat bags/gift cards for children currently undergoing treatment,” according to a promotional flier.
– 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: A blood drive in memory of Jerry Graham;
– 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: A motorcycle benefit ride with registration at 10 a.m. at the Hopedale American Legion.
– 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Food by the Harrison County Band Boosters , 2 Guys & A Grill and the Cadiz American Legion Post 34 Auxiliary.
– 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Music by DJ Ronnie B.
– Noon to 4 p.m. Car cruise-in. There is a $10 entry fee.
– 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Survivor dinners to-go.
The event also will include a 50-50 drawing; a silent auction; a Chinese auction; and food vendors.
Brooke Library announces
schedule of virtual story hours
WELLSBURG — The Brooke County Public Library will offer a live virtual story hour with Kim Harless, educational programs director, at noon on Monday and Aug. 10 and at 11 a.m. Aug. 5 and 12.
The Monday and Aug. 5 story hours will have a gnome theme and the Aug. 10 and 12 story hours will have a fairy theme in keeping with the fantasy theme of the library’s summer reading program.
There also will be a live evening story hour at 5 p.m. Aug. 5 with the story “The Marshmallow Incident” to be read. The story hours also can be viewed later.
The library also is offering activity packets to go with the story hours for pickup at the Wellsburg or Follansbee locations. For information, call (304) 737-1551 or (304) 527-0860 or visit wellsburg.lib.wv.us.newsletter2.htm.