Steubenville Saddle Club presents awards at opening May show
RICHMOND — Unable to hold its annual awards banquet earlier this year because of coronavirus precautions and restrictions, the Steubenville Saddle Club instead used its first show of the 2021 season as an opportunity to acknowledge a variety of 2020 season winners on hand.
The kickoff show was held at the club grounds located at 8675 state Route 152, Richmond.
The 2020 show season brought top honors for Kara Bowers for outstanding excellence, high point performance, and for Reece Fomenko and his horse Jenna for outstanding excellence, high point contest.
As the top overall winners, the two were presented with a belt buckle.
Presented at the well-attended May 16 show, the acknowledgment for Bowers came with some sadness, according to a family member, as Bowers lost her horse, Certain for Sure (barn name Lincoln) to colic in October.
Bowers also took honors in youth 9-13, showmanship, walk-trot, English, pleasure, horsemanship and trail, while Fomenko took top honors in youth 9-13, barrels, flags and down and back.
Other 2020 award recipients include:
* Jenna Anderson, youth 14-18, showmanship, walk/trot, pleasure, English and horsemanship.
* Amelia Ault, youth 9-13, gaited and trail,
* Lacie Adams, adult, showmanship and trail.
* Breanna Ferguson, youth 9-13, ranch pleasure.
* Mihaela Petric, lead line, small fry, showmanship.
* Maddie Granatir, driving.
* Allison Lamantia, halter, adult, walk/trot, English, pleasure and horsemanship.
* Jessa McGraw, small fry, showmanship, pleasure, horsemanship and barrels.
* Mathew Leonard, adults, flags and cones, and adult, gaited.
* Ginny Vahalik, halter, adult, showmanship and ranch pleasure.
* Zach Murray, adult, barrels, poles and stakes, keyhole and down and back.
* Janelle Nicholson, youth 9-13, flags.
* Jadyn Nicholson, youth 14-18, barrels and poles and stakes.
* Hayden Maple, youth 9-13, poles and stakes, cones and keyhole.
The club’s second show of the season will be held June 20 with July 25 and Sept. 19 rounding out the 2021 season.
Shows begin at 9 a.m. with halter/showmanship classes followed by English/Western performance classes and ending with contest classes that will not begin before 3 p.m.
The open horse shows consist of halter and showmanship, driving, English equitation and pleasure, Western horsmanship and pleasure, ranch pleasure, trail and contesting.
Show judges are: June, Heather Pariso; July, Brandy Kemmer; and September, Casandra Randall.
The July show will be a payback show.
Shows are open to the public, and admission is free.
Concessions will be available with the club continuing the walk-up window service implemented in the wake of COVID-19 protocols. While that service will continue for patrons more comfortable with that option, the concession stand will be open with social distancing observed and a more customary menu returning with some exceptions.
Club officers are Zach Murray, president; Carl Green, vice president; Jadyn Nicholson, recording secretary; Cathy Hickle, treasurer; Marlene Lamantia, show secretary; and Robin Wedlake, point secretary.
The club’s next meeting will be held at 7 p.m. on July 6 at the club grounds.