Weirton Hall of Fame announces 2019 inductees
WEIRTON — Seven current and former city residents have been selected for induction into the Weirton Hall of Fame this year.
The newest members of the hall of fame, nominated by residents and selected by the Weirton Hall of Fame Committee, include:
• Richard “Rik” Rekowski, in the category of public service
• Dr. Eli Dragisich, in the category of public service
• Brenda Casey, in the category of music and fine arts
• Robert Lee Watson, in the category of music and fine arts
• Herman F. Capito, in the category of business
• Stephen G. Greiner, in the category of sports and athletics
• Louis Kuntupis, in the category of sports and athletics
The Class of 2019 will officially be inducted during a banquet to be held 2 p.m., Aug. 11, at Undo’s in Weirton.
Tickets for the induction dinner will be on sale from July 1 to July 31 at a cost of $30 per person. They will be available for purchase at the Weirton Municipal Building from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tickets will not be available the day of the event.
This is the 11th year for the Weirton Hall of Fame. Inductees are selected by the committee from nominations of those who have distinguished themselves to benefit the community in six possible categories: philanthropy; public service; music and fine arts; business, industry and professions; education and religion; and sports and athletics.
To qualify, a nominee must be a current or former resident of the city, having lived in Weirton for a minimum of five years since 1947 and making their contributions while living in Weirton.