Bethany Class of 1979 passes midpoint of fundraising goal
BETHANY — The Bethany College Class of 1979 has surpassed the halfway point in its effort to raise $79,000 in donations for the school.
As a contribution to the college’s continuing effort to restore Old Main, part of the $40,000 raised so far recently was donated to the ongoing renovation of the Sandercox Room. Completed in 1871, Old Main is regarded for its Gothic architecture and in 1990 was designated a National Historic Landmark.
The Sandercox Room is named in honor of Dr. Robert A. Sandercox, a 1954 graduate of Bethany who, over a 40-year career, served the college professionally in many roles, including dean of students, director of alumni relations, and senior vice president for institutional research and planning. In retirement, he served on the college’s Board of Trustees from 2004 to 2006.
“Dr. Sandercox made an immense impact on the Bethany community, and the appreciation and affection felt for him by students, faculty, and staff are still evident today,” said Tamara Nichols Rodenberg, president of Bethany College. “It is a testimony to the depth of the respect and love held by his students that the Class of 1979 has chosen to honor his legacy in this way.”
Lead donors for the restoration of the Sandercox Room include Paul and Liz Stevens Chewning and Charles and Dana Nalbantian.
The fundraising goal is a show of school spirit to coincide with the Class of 1979’s 40th reunion, which will be celebrated during Bethany College’s Homecoming Weekend, Sept. 27-29.
The remaining funds are expected to be earmarked to help restore the Renner Union roof.
Those interested in contributing to Bethany and the Class of 1979 fund raising effort may do so by contacting the college’s Office of Advancement, 31 E. Campus Drive, Bethany, WV, 26302-3002