Last in a series of three superloads expected to roll

STEUBENVILLE — The last of three superloads will be traveling through Weirton and Jefferson and Harrison counties beginning early today, according to the Ohio Department of Transportation.

The superload was scheduled to enter Ohio from West Virginia before dawn today and proceed along U.S. Route 22 west to state Route 43. The route will then go along Canton Road south to Main Street and then along county Road 22A. The superload, if it makes it to that location, will stop for the night. The caravan on Sunday will continue on county Road 22A back to U.S. Route 22 westbound to state Route 151 in Hopedale, ending at the MarkWest fractionator facility on Giacobi Road.

Traffic will be maintained through the use of rolling road blocks. The transport will be accompanied by four Ohio State Highway Patrol escorts, ODOT crews, local law enforcement and utility trucks. Progress of the superload will affect traffic in all directions on the traveled routes.

ODOT reported motorists who are traveling from Ohio into West Virginia during this time should expect delays of up to 30 minutes while this superload enters Ohio. Once the superload is in Ohio, motorists should expect delays and various intermittent ramp and lane closures as the superload progresses west, according to ODOT.

Dimensions of the superload are 20-feet wide, 17-feet 4-inches tall, 375-feet long, and 883,000 pounds, gross weight. Due to the size and travel speed of the superload, officials from ODOT are working closely with the logistics team from Capital City Crane to plan for the transport.

ODOT officials said the transport team is paying special attention to public safety when crossing bridges and making turns on the route. The transport team has planned the move to avoid peak travel times to minimize the interference with traffic.

ODOT is asking motorists to plan ahead and consider alternate routes to avoid congestion and delays.

The first superload move was expected to last only one day when its journey began on Jan. 12. It took three days for the load to reach MarkWest due to mechanical issues. The journey for the second superload was made without any major incidents.