Fairs and festivals make their return
Whether you’re looking for the chance to spend some quality time with friends and family, meet some new friends or just trying to find something special to do during the next several months, you need only look at the many fairs and festivals that are held throughout the Tri-State Area.
Their themes vary widely, and events held across our region feature activities for people of all ages.
Consider a random sample:
• The Juneteenth holiday will be celebrated Saturday with events planned near Second Baptist Church in Steubenville and the Weirton Event Center.
• The corner of Fourth and South streets in downtown Steubenville will come to life June 23-25 with the sights and sounds of the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Food Festival. Celebrating its 35th year, the event remains one of the most highly anticipated festivals of the year.
• The life of Dean Martin, the legendary entertainer who was born in Steubenville, will be celebrated June 24-26 with activities spread among the Spot Bar, the area around Historic Fort Steuben and other sites around the community. The Dean Martin Hometown Celebration will include tours of the Jefferson County Historical Museum, a performance by Beatlemania Magic June 24 at the Berkman Amphitheater, an outdoor street fair in the 200 block of South Fourth Street that will feature lots of live music and other events, the annual Martin Karaoke Contest June 24 at the Spot Bar as well as Martin tribute shows at the Spot on June 25 and 26.
• Follansbee will hold its annual Community Days celebration July 9-11.
• St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Weirton will hold its annual peach festival in August.
• If you’re looking to experience a county fair, there are plenty of options: The Harrison County Fair will be held Monday through June 26; the Carroll County Fair will be held July 20-25; the Jefferson County Fair is set for Aug. 15-22; the Brooke County Fair will be held Sept. 10-12; and the Hancock County Oldtime Fair is set for Sept. 17-19.
• The Toronto Art Festival will be held Sept. 4-5.
• The Wellsburg Applefest is set for Oct. 1-3.
• Follansbee’s annual Christmas in the Park will be held Oct. 9-10.
We can’t even begin to list all of the region’s events here, but we can safely say there is something for everyone at area fairs and festivals.