BERKMAN, Louis, 104, died Monday, January 28, 2013.
Born January 15, 1909, in Canton, Ohio, to Sarah and Hyman Berkman.
In 1935, he married Sandra Weiss of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They were married 48 years when Sandra passed away in 1983.
Louis and Sandra were the parents of two children, Marshall (who perished in the crash of US Air 427 in Pittsburgh in 1994); and Donna, who is married to Robert A. Paul, Chairman and CEO of Ampco-Pittsburgh Corporation, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Louis has six grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. Louis was married to Jane Goldberg of Pittsburgh in 1986, who died in 1998. He then married the former Ruth Suttin of Pittsburgh in 2001, who died in 2011.
Mr. Berkman started in business in the late 1920s in the scrap iron and steel industry. In 1931, he incorporated The Louis Berkman Company in Steubenville, Ohio. In 2012, The Louis Berkman Company celebrated 81 years of incorporation. The Louis Berkman Company consists of many diversified companies including Meyer Products LLC, Swenson Spreader LLC, Follansbee Steel, Dover Parkersburg and Industrial Supplies.
He was instrumental in the fundraising for St. John Medical Center, now known as Trinity Medical Center West, and St John Arena of Steubenville, Ohio. He made personal contributions to secure the Toronto site for the titanium plant now known as TIMET, which was a significant factor in the location of the industry in Toronto, Ohio.
Mr. Berkman presented a deed for the underlying coal rights on 28.4 acres of land southwest of Toronto, Ohio, so that Toronto could build a new school on the site. The deed was conveyed for "one dollar and love." He was also instrumental in the rebuilding of the Steubenville Country Club after it was destroyed by fire in the early 1960s, and donated the land on Lovers Lane in Steubenville, Ohio, for Temple Beth Israel.
Louis Berkman has been the recipient of numerous awards throughout his lifetime. He received the coveted Caritas Medal from the Diocese of Steubenville in 1963 for his distinguished and meritous contributions. In 1965, he was conferred the title of Grand Official Merit of the Italian Republic at the request of the Prime Minister of Rome, Italy. In 1975 he received an Honorary Doctorate in Business Administration from Bethany College, Bethany, West Virginia. In 1984 he received an Honorary Doctorate in Business Science from Franciscan University of Steubenville, Steubenville, Ohio. In 1985 he was presented the "President's Award" from Franciscan University as well. In 2003 he was inducted into the Lou Holtz Upper Ohio Valley Hall of Fame in East Liverpool, Ohio.
Through The Louis and Sandra Berkman Foundation, he established the "H.L. Berkman Faculty and Staff Dining Room" and the "Sandra Weiss Berkman Studio for Ceramic Arts" at Bethany College, Bethany, West Virginia. The Foundation also made possible the "Learning Resource Center", "The Louis Berkman Fireside Lounge" in the J.C. Williams Center and "The Science and Technology Building" at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Steubenville, Ohio.
The Foundation also made possible the construction of "The Louis & Sandra Berkman Amphitheater" at the Old Fort Steuben Project in downtown Steubenville, Ohio, which was dedicated in October 2006.
The past several years, the Foundation has contributed extensively to Catholic Central High School, Steubenville, Ohio and to the creation of the "Berkman Theater at Lanman Hall" which was completed in the Spring of 2012.
Again, through the Foundation, in 1986 Louis Berkman established the "Louis Berkman Professor of Economics" at Harvard University and in 1998 the Foundation established the "Louis Berkman Scholarship fund" at both the Franciscan University of Steubenville and Bethany College. In the same year, the "Louis Berkman Scholarship" was established at Cornell University in New York.
Services and interment are private.
Contributions may be made to a charity of the donor's choice. Arrangements entrusted to Ralph Schugar Chapel, Inc. www.schugar.com