Ferry’s defense shuts down Weir

LOOOKING FOR ROOM — Weir High’s Devan Colson looks for room to run against Martins Ferry on Friday. -- Joe Lovell

MARTINS FERRY — Taking twelve minutes to get untracked, Martins Ferry had no plans of stopping.

With a stalwart defense that shut down Weir High’s offense and an offense that provided one thrill after another, the Purple Riders got their first win of the seasom, 38-7, over the Red Riders on a warm Friday night at the Dave Bruney Football Complex.

Ferry had a tough opening season schedule, as Purple Riders coach Chas Yoder’s group dropped their first four games to four very tough opponents Linsly, Shadyside, Union Local and St. Clairsville before welcoming Weir High to Martins Ferry. The Purple Riders improved to 1-4.

Weir, coached by Frank Sisinni, opened with a pair of setbacks to John Marshall and Oak Glen before getting in the win column last week over Indian Creek. The loss dropped them to 1-3.

Both teams are back in action on Friday with the Purple Riders hosting Cambridge and The Red Riders entertaining Marietta.

As the first quarter progressed, it appeared that the game was set up for a defensive struggle with little scoring, but as the frame advanced Weir’s running game started to gain steam.

“We played hard on both sides of the ball and special teams picked it up this week,” Yoder said after the win. “We gave up the long one, then we played good defense the rest of the night.

“Everyone played really well. We finally put one together. We missed a few plays here and there the last couple weeks, but we put a good game together and everyone just played well this week.”

Taking over on their own 37 following a Purple Rider punt, Weir put together a lengthy nine-play drive that included the impressive running of tailback Corey Lyons with runs of four, 15, eight and six to march the visitors to the MF 30. With 3:51 on the clock, Malachi Stromile rolled to his right and found Carson Yobbagy in the endzone for the score. Jacob Morgan booted the PAT.

It was the second quarter that belonged to the Martins Ferry offense and defense. Early in the second Baron Lucy picked off a Weir High pass and gave the hosts possession at the 37.

From there it was a 26-yard scamper by freshman QB Ayden Ludolph that set the stage for a Ludolph to George Hulsey five-yard scoring pass at the 9:06 mark. Ludolph threw to Landyn Hores for the PAT.

Late in the half, the Riders drove to the Weir one before losing the handle on the ball and returning possession to the Red Riders. Less than twi minutes later, Ferry regained control at 22 and needed just three plays before Hulsey scored from the eight. Ludolph ran for the PAT and a 16-7 halftime lead.

In a game that featured a pair of southpaw gunslingers, it was the defense that took charge in the third. A pass theft by Yobbagy at the 3:30 mark of the frame helped to stall the Purple Riders hopes. In those final minutes, it was defensive gems by Baron Lucy and Peyton Hores that eliminated Weir’s efforts.

It was the fourth quarter that saw the Purple Riders extend their lead with three scores.

Runs of 32 yards by Ludolph and 34 stripes by Hulsey keyed the early fourth frame score.

Hulsey’s run provided the score with 9:46 on the board and Ludolph passed to Lucy for the two-pointer.

Later in the session, Ferry took over at the Weir 33 following a punt from the endzone. Four plays later Hulsey added another score from two yards out with 6:34 showing. Hores booted the PAT.

Less than a minute later, Jackson Carte closed the Ferry scoring on a 22-yard sweep with 4:16 on the clock. Hores again added the PAT.

“We really started out fine and I think was a carryover from last week,” Sisinni said following the game. “But, we had a couple things that happened unfortunately before the half ended and then we came out the second half and didn’t have it.

“It seemed that every time we took a step forward, we took another one backwards. It was self-inflicted wounds and penalties. I give credit to Martins Ferry’s staff. They made some adjustments and we just ran out of gas.”

Martins Ferry 38, Weir 7

Martins Ferry 0 16 0 22 — 38

Weir 7 0 0 0 — 7

First Quarter

W – Yobbagy 30 yd P from Malachi Stromile. (Morgan kick)

Second Quarter

MF – Hulsey, 10 yd P from Ludolph (Ludolph pass to Hores)

MF – Hulsey, 8 R (Ludolph run)

Fourth Quarter

MF – Hulsey, 34 R (Ludolph pass to Lucy)

MF – Hulsey, two-yd R (Hores kick)

MF – Carte, 22-yd R (Hores kick)

Rushing: Martins Ferry (40-247-4) Hulsey, 23-128-3; Ludolph, 10-91; Carte, 4-36-1; Lucy, 3 -(-3).

Weir (38-100-0) Lyons, 22-78; Stromile, 4-11; Colson, 3-0; Yobbagy, 4-8; Young, 6-12.

Passing: Martins Ferry (5-11-77-1) all by Ludolph. Weir (3-9-53-1) all by Stromile.

Receiving: Martins Ferry: L. Hores, 3-58; Hulsey, 1-10-1; Lucy, 1-9. Weir: Yobbagy, 1-30-1; Lyons,

1-11; Bridges, 1-12.

FIRST DOWNS: Martins Ferry 17; Weir 9

PENALTIES-YARDS: Martins Ferry 6-36; Weir 9-70

FUMBLES LOST: Martins Ferry 3-1; Weir 1-1


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today