Breaking News
Local News

All Saints has deep roots in Weirton history

By SUMMER WALLACE-MINGER 7 min read

WEIRTON -- The All Saints Greek Orthodox Church’s roots go as far back as the community it serves -- like Weirton itself, the church was born when immigrants from Greece poured into the community to work at E.T. Weir’s steel mill.

All Saints will celebrate the 100th anniversary May 12-14 with a worship service led by Archbishop Demetrios, Geron of America, and Metropolitan Savas of the Metropolis of Pittsburgh.

Coming from islands across Greece, the early parishioners shared two things: their language and their faith. Attending church meant an opportunity to practice their faith and to socialize with others in their own language. Although they were all Greek, many islands had their own unique twists on traditions, song and dance, culture and cuisine. In the early days of the parish, many of those from the same island formed fraternal clubs, but faith connected them all.

Prior to the establishment of the parish, those of the Eastern Orthodox faith attended services in rented halls and private homes, the first of which was the Divine Liturgy of the Nativity of Christ at the turn of the century.

The first iteration of All Saints was built on Avenue A in the North End, and parishioners raised $25,000 to build the church and the lot was purchased with the assistance of J.C. Williams, Weirton Steel Co. president, in 1915 for the purpose of building the church. The building fund was supplemented through day wages, private contributions and pay check deductions at Weirton Steel from those planning to worship at the Greek Orthodox church.

Those guiding the construction of the church -- a cornerstone was laid in spring 1916 -- was a Building Committee consisting of President John Samaras, Vice President Chris Leontaris, Secretaries Angelo Sanderson and Peter G. Samaras, Treasurers Steve Delanis and Garif Papoutsis, George Pandelios, Menelaus Zaorgianos, Gus Valles, George Thomas and Stelios Vanias.

As the building went up, the parish was established in 1917, and Nicholas Dimos suggested the name “All Saints” to honor all the patron saints of the different Grecian regions from which the parish’s founding families hailed.

“Why not call it ‘All Saints,’ because it includes all of the saints so greatly revered and honored by the Greek Orthodox faith,” Dimos said.

The church was consecrated by Archimandrite Theodosios Loufakis of Pittsburgh, and the Rev. Neophitos Iosafeos celebrated the first Divine Liturgy on Greek Independence Day 1918. Iosafeos was the church’s first priest and an iconographer who created many of the icons for the first church. Iosafeos’ work can still be seen at the West Street church, as many of his icons were taken from the Avenue A building to the current church.

The church originally had no pews; men, accompanied by their young sons, stood on one side of the church and women stood on the other during services. The church also established a parochial school where students were taught to read, write and speak Greek and English and Greek history and customs, along with the usual subjects.

The parish was an integral part of Weirton, establishing several community organizations, including Boy Scout Troop 131, Cub Scouts, Campfire Girls, American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association, Philoptochos Society and Daughters of Penelope. In addition to the Scouting groups and Campfire Girls, the parish’s young people also participated in programming at the Weirton Christian Center, which also is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.

The Rev. Frank Milanese, current pastor and a parishioner in his youth, was a member of Troop 131, which was organized in 1939 by George Ellison. The church’s choir, first organized by the Rev. Demetrios Sylvestros and parochial teacher Christalia Kakalakis Sanderson in 1937 and re-organized after the Great Depression in 1942 by the Rev. Demetrios Bouras and Chris Vrionidis, went through a period when the only members were women in World War II. Five young men who were part of the parish died in WWII, and the Hellenic Memorial Hall was named in their honor.

Those killed included Tom Tomazos, who was killed while landing at Normandy Beach on D-Day; Tom Apesos, who was killed near Dosseldorf, Germany, only a month prior to the war’s end; Stathis Wounaris, who was killed in action near Anzio, Italy; Pete Kavadas, who also was killed at Normandy at age 19; and John Vournakis, a Purple Heart recipient who was killed while flying as a bombardier in raids over Germany. Tom Tomazos’ and John Vournakis’ remains were never recovered.

It also was during the war that the current church building was constructed. A new Building Committee was established, including A. Bellas, J. Kikilides, J. Pandelios, G. Ellison, M. Arnas, A. Pappas, N. Moulakis, G. Mandalas, M. Bays, J. Karnoupakis, S. Stratros and the Rev. Mandakis.

The entire parish gathered together to build the church, with men digging the foundation and children and women passing bricks - often after Sunday services in their church finery. The cornerstone was laid by Archbishop Athenagoras -- one of two archbishops to visit the church prior to Archbishop Demetrios -- in 1947.

Alexander Bellas, a member of the sub-committee, along with John Frangakis, Mike Arnas and George Loucas, envisioned the new church as a smaller copy of Saint Sophia in Constantinople, which he had been able to visit in person. Saint Sophia, once the seat of Patriarch of Constantinople, was built by the Byzantine Emperor Justinian I, and, like the cathedral that inspired it, All Saints is adorned in the Byzantine style, created by recognized iconographer Constantine Triantafillou.

However, the church has a unique, local twist that speaks to its shared and interconnected history with Weirton Steel Co. -- its steel dome. The landmark dome was originally built of copper, but roofing problems required so many repairs that the parish once again turned to the Weirton Steel Co. in an $110,000 effort to cover the dome and bell towers with stainless steel produced in Weirton’s mills by the parishioners and their co-workers. Engineer Anthony Gargaro, a Weirton Steel employee, was so integral to the project that Archbishop Iakovos -- the second of the three archbishops to visit the church -- presented him with an award for his work at the church’s 50th anniversary celebration.

The 100th anniversary weekend will include several activities, in addition to Archbishop Demetrios and Metropolitan Savas celebrating the Mother’s Day Divine Liturgy May 14 at the church located at 3528 West St.

Overflow seating will be available in the back of the sanctuary and elevator lobby for guests’ comfort. This will leave the church’s parking lots north and south of the church, across West Street from the church and between the former Post Office building and the alley free for parking. Church officials ask that those attending the service be courteous and park in the church’s lots.

Archbishop Demetrios also will celebrate Vespers at 3 p.m. May 13, followed by the gala celebration at the Embassy Suites in Coraopolis. A charter bus will leave the church immediately following Vespers for the gala, which will include a dinner-dance with music by the Greek Co. Orchestra.

Those attending must make a reservation no later than 2 p.m. April 28. For information and to check reservation availability, call (304) 797-9884 or email centennial@allstswwv.org. Tickets are $100 each for adults, $75 for children aged 13 to 18, $35 for children aged 6 to 12 and free for children younger than 6.

A golf tournament will be held May 12 at Williams Golf and Country Club with a shotgun start at noon. A foursome is $85 per person and includes green fees, a cart, lunch and beverages. Make a reservation by April 30. Taverna Night: All Saints Reunion will be held from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. May 12 at the church’s Hellenic Memorial Hall. The cost is $10 per person, and those 18 and younger are free. Reservations are required.

The Boy Scouts and Campfire Girls Reunion and buffet breakfast will be held from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. May 13 at the Williams Golf and Country Club. The cost is $15 per person and a reservation is required. A tour of the museum and cultural center will begin at 10 a.m. May 13 at the museum located at 3149 Main St. Reservations are available by calling the church at (304) 797-9884.

Starting at /week.