Preparations under way for Weirton general election
WEIRTON — Planning is under way for the City of Weirton’s general municipal election, set to be held June 11.
Polls will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. throughout the city on June 11, while early voting has been established for May 29 to June 8 at the Weirton Municipal Building. Early voting hours will be 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays during the early voting period.
Candidates in the Weirton general election are:
• Mayor: George Village and Harold Miller (incumbent)
• Ward 1 Council: Tim Connell (incumbent) and Jonathan Curenton
• Ward 2 Council: Ralph Cunningham and Mike Adams (incumbent)
• Ward 3 Council: Fred Marsh (incumbent, unopposed)
• Ward 4 Council: George Ash (inumbent, unopposed)
• Ward 5 Council: Flora Perrone and George Charnie
• Ward 6 Council: Enzo Fracasso (incumbent, unopposed)
• Ward 7 Council: Shanon Schuetzner and Terry Weigel (incumbent)
The ballot draw was held April 12 to determine the placement of the candidates.
Weirton voters also will be asked to decide the fate of 11 proposed changes to the city’s charter.
The titles of the ordinances for the charter changes are:
• Amending the position of treasurer and auditor throughout the City of Weirton Charter to read City Financial Director a permanent and full-time position
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter by eliminating the position of city physician from the charter
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter by eliminating the position of recreation director from the charter
• Amending Article III, Section 2(c) of the City of Weirton Charter relating to the removal of appointed officers
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter by eliminating Article III, Section 3(a) Qualifications and requirements for mayor and councilman being a resident of Weirton for at least five years prior to an election
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter by eliminating Article III, Section 3(d) Qualifications and requirements requiring mayor and councilmen to have paid taxes on at least $500 worth of real or personal property for the year preceding his election to office
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter Article III, Section 3(f) Qualifications and requirements to include appointed or elected office in the State of West Virginia
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter Article III, Section 3(g) Qualifications and requirements from missing council meetings for a period of six months to missing regular monthly council meetings six times within the city’s fiscal year
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter Article VII, Officers and Employees Section 1(f) City Manager relating to contracts
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter Article VII Officers and Employees Section 1(d) to read the city clerk shall work the hours of duty determined by the city manager
• Amending the City of Weirton Charter Article VIII, Elections relating to the conduct of municipal elections
The public inspection of the electronic voting machines to be used in the election will be held at 11 a.m., May 24 in Room 201 of the Weirton Municipal Building.
In addition, the city is seeking alternate poll workers for the general election. Those interested should contact the City Clerk’s Office at (304) 797-8500, ext. 1045 by May 27.
Those selected as poll workers will receive $190 as ballot commissioners, $170 as poll clerks/commissioners and $15 per training, with alternates receiving $15 per training.