St. Nicholas Orthodox marking centennial
WEIRTON — St. Nicholas Orthodox Church will celebrate its 100th anniversary on Sunday.
“The day will focus on the past and the future of the church, recognizing the founders’ accomplishments and what current members need to do to keep St. Nicholas strong for the next century,” said Andrea Bell, event chairman.
While planning the celebration, members started the “100 Acts of Kindness” project to help others in need, attempting to fulfill the calling from Matthew 25. The goal of accomplishing 100 kind things before the centennial was not only reached but exceeded, according to Bell.
The Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, His Beatitude, Metropolitan Tikhon and His Eminence, Archbishop Melchisedek of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania, will celebrate a Hierarchal Divine Liturgy accompanied by numerous clergy who have connections to the parish.
The Hierarchal Divine Liturgy begins at 9:30 a.m. at the church, located at 604 Colliers Way, and concludes at the St. Florian Event Center with hors d’oeuvres and a banquet beginning at 1 p.m.
The founders of the church constituted a small group of individuals who settled in the Weirton area looking for jobs and a spiritual home.
In 1919, Weirton Steel Co. donated two lots on Elm Street, and construction began for the newly organized church. The first Liturgy was celebrated on March 10, 1920. Sixteen years later, the final mortgage payment was made.
In 1972, due to the growing congregation, members voted to proceed with plans to find property and build a new place of worship. On Oct. 22, 1973, land located on Colliers Way was purchased, chosen because of its close proximity to a main highway and because it had room for future expansion. In 1974, a groundbreaking started, and seven months later, the construction was completed with the finishing of a four-bedroom, tri-level house next to the church.