×

City gives mall owner more time to address violations

Linda Harris MORE TIME – City Manager Mike Johnson, left, says the owner of the Fort Steuben Mall has hired a structural engineer to develop a plan for addressing numerous code violations at the property,

STEUBENVILLE — The Fort Steuben Mall’s owner is planning to bring the main corridor up to code and “mothball” the rest of his part of the building, City Manager Mike Johnson reported Tuesday.

Johnson said the owner, Total Finance, was given another 30 days to bring it up to code after hiring McKinley & Associates to do a structural assessment and draw up a plan to address numerous health and safety violations found at the property, including mold, leaks, broken skylights, shifting floors and oversized potholes.

City building inspectors had originally given the owner until May 27 to have the building assessed by professionals and have a plan drawn up that would correct the deficiencies, then another 180 days to implement it.

Johnson said the structural engineer’s initial assessment was “there are a lot of issues in that mall.”

With the extension, Total Finance now has until June 27 to submit a plan.

“I am hopeful that the plan that will be submitted by the mall owner will be sufficient to render the mall safe and in compliance with the building codes,” he said after the meeting. “Since the mall owner has taken the positive step of bringing in a structural engineer to address the building code issues, the city was very willing to extend the deadline.”

Johnson said the mall owner has indicated the plan is most likely going to be to save the main corridor where The Ville Restaurant and Great American Cookies are and mothball the rest.

“I’m a little concerned by the owner’s comment that a significant portion of the mall might be mothballed in any plan that (they) submit,” he said. “I do not want to prejudge any plan without seeing the specifics, so I eagerly wait for the details of the plan to emerge.”

He said the city’s goal “is to ensure public safety by all who enter the mall.”

Johnson said the mall owner also hired an appraiser and “advised he knows of two local buyers.”

“He knows he is going to take a loss,” Johnson said. “He wants to mitigate that loss.”

“The mall owner indicated he is trying to cut his losses and mentioned that he believes two local groups are interested in purchasing the mall,” Johnson added. “(We’re) willing to work with any entity or person who ultimately gains control of the mall to ensure the mall is safe for all to enter.”

Johnson also reported that earlier in the day AFSCME Local 2015 members ratified a new contract. Council now has 30 days to take action, he said.

Mayor Ralph Petrella reported on Monday’s public meeting on a new West Virginia-to-Ohio bridge, saying West Virginia transportation leaders suggested council should pass a resolution stating what their preferred route is.

“Their suggestion is … we determine what option we feel best for the city. Based on some information we’ve been given, I do feel it should be in the south of the city … South Street or Adams Street might be a possibility,” Petrella said.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today